Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lucky to know him

The Mister's paternal grandfather died a week and a half ago. Without denying the sadness of the loss of a family member from our lives, which I just don't feel like blogging about, I must point out how genuinely lucky the Mister and I have been in the area of grandparents. I'm grateful that I had the chance to drink wine with the Mister's grandfather in New York and eat fried chicken with him at the Brookville Hotel and hear his stories about rodeos and pig roasts. I'm glad that the Mister had the chance to meet my grandfather and hear his advice about where to stop for pie on road trips. While the Mister and I only met one of the other's grandparents* we each knew all four of our own, which is very fortunate. All eight are now gone and sadly missed as individuals, but their spirits and personalities remain much alive in our families.
Hugs to all of the Mister's grandfather's family and friends.

*which still makes me sad because my maternal grandmother would have loved the Mister and joked with him in a way that my grandfather never could.

3 comments:

Beth said...

((hugs)) again. My hubby didn't have any grandparents left for me to meet, but he got to meet my maternal grandma. And I agree with the "lucky to know" sentiment since we both feel lucky that he got to meet her and we each knew all four for at least a little while.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. He was lucky to have met you!

Jenny said...

I'm glad you both had the time you did with them. Thinking of you, Mr. SpSq, and his family.

PS. How well you articulated that lucky, blessed feeling that comes when thinking of grandparents.