Saturday, September 6, 2008

Reading Therapy

Anna Quindlen's One True Thing includes a fantastic scene in which a counselor prescribes Wuthering Heights to a teenage client*. The scene had very little to do with the rest of the book, which I have mostly forgotten, but I have always loved it because it suggests that someone else takes the therapeutic powers of reading seriously.

I thought of this recently when a dear friend in the midst of a necessary but ugly break-up called from Borders needing book suggestions. I was momentarily stumped, so suggested Cloud Atlas as interesting and demanding full attention, but wasn't satisfied because it doesn't have all of the escapist qualities I think a book to be read during a "no-win in the short term" life situation demands. I later suggested Birth of Venus, East, Inkheart and The Blue Sword. I wanted to suggest Twentieth Wife, and Trickster's Choice but could not in any way remember the titles.

As a result of this discussion, I have started to make a list of books to recommend for various situations. I'd love to hear your suggestions. What do you read for different life troubles?

For ordinary work ills, colds, or days when things are not getting done as they should be, I'm all for trashy romance in the bathtub (alas, here I have neither bathtub nor source of trashy romance). The goofier the better: The Last Viking about mousy prof. falling for Viking who washed up next to her house is way better than attractive modern woman falling for attractive modern man stories.

For physical problems and general blues, I'm for the comfort of books I know well. I read The Blue Sword last week when I couldn't stand straight with back pain, and have read or skimmed Anne books, Charlotte's Web, Harry Potter, The Phantom Tollbooth, Chronicles of Narnia, and The Lord of the Rings at down times in the past year and pretty much every year.

In airports I prefer fast-paced novels of the places I'm visiting, but if I can't find that, then a far-fetched book like The Eight or The Time Traveller's Wife is my choice. Of course, an airport book must not be something I've read before, so neither or those will do again for me.

For real issues like a romantic break-up, the book cannot be too romantic, too short, too long, or something I've read before. I have no idea why I had it on hand unread at the time, but the first time I read The Blue Sword was when I was dumped long distance in 1994. Aside from being too short (I supplemented it with Maniac McGee), it was perfect for the situation. I note that I have no such books on hand now, so the Mister can't dump me anytime soon.

Let me know your choices.

*This use of Wuthering Heights fit perfectly with my freshman English teacher's warning that to find Wuthering Heights romantic, one must read it when one is a sixteen year old female. Having tried to read it at 10 and then at 23, I think I agree with him, and probably would have liked it at sixteen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, the best book to read after a breakup is "The Count of Monte Cristo"! (or, if you can't handle the length, you might settle for Fay Weldon's "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil"). If you've had your heart broken, you'll find consolation in a story about how, if you only want it badly enough, you can ultimately carry out the perfect scheme for revenge!

As for books that take your mind off your troubles, I've seen two opposite approaches to that. One is to read books about someone having glorious adventures and doing thrilling things (fantasy novels, mysteries, travel books, etc.). The other is to read about people whose troubles are so great that they make yours look trivial (a college friend used to read "Alive", about a plane crash in the Andes, whenever she felt stressed!). Just a matter of temperament, I suppose.

I should add, though, that the spouse and I think that the next time you're feeling under the weather, you ought to read Dino Buzzati's "The Bears' Famous Invasions of Sicily."

Irene said...

I've found that when I'm unhappy for whatever reason, books about people unhappier than me only open my eyes to the possibilities of just how much worse it could be! But for a different kind of person, I could see that approach working.

I guess I personally tend toward fantasy adventures, no matter the season or situation. Life is pretty good overall and I just need something to read on the train? Fantasy. I hate my life and need to get away from it? Fantasy. I'm traveling to faraway places? Fantasy.

Okay I exaggerate; I do read non-fantasy fiction.

Various familiar books (or bits of books) I turn to when I need to feel better.

Romantic:
Time Enough for Love (Robert Heinlein), the section "The Prince of Ebon Rih" in Dreams Made Flesh (Anne Bishop), Sebastian and Belladonna (2 separate Anne Bishop books), and assorted parts of the Clan of the Cave Bear (Jane Auel) series.

Not Romantic:
Danny the Champion of the World (Roald Dahl) and actually any Roald Dahl book... any Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, with a special place in my heart for Equal Rites and The Night Watch. Also, The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (Douglas Adams).

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks she-in-law and Irene. I will be posting on the results of resultant discussions sometime soon.

Marieke said...

Can I add a (very late) comment? Now that I've done some thinking about this interesting idea.

The books that came to mind for every kind of reading therapy were all graphic novels/comics. These books provide instant, gut-level responses and are comforting at the same time as being challenging, educational, disturbing or cathartic.

Recommended:
Persepolis (several in series) by Marjane Satrapi for marvelous portrait of childhood in Iran, ideal for dealing with frustrating situations or people;
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel for exploration of identity, family, sexuality, the pain our parents put us through;
Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess's Stardust for a lovely, nostalgic fairy tale and romance, good for escaping or reminding oneself to believe in magic;
Maus (2 in series) by Art Spiegelman for a powerful example of exploring one's personal and painful family history.

What I like about reading comics is that it makes me start to see the world around me in frames, strips and caricatures, helpful in stepping back and making "art" out of life.

Jenny said...

I just really love the idea of book therapy, and had to think it over for quite a while to decide what my own trends are. I think I anually read Jane Austen novels, as well as old favorites like the Phantom Tollbooth, maybe Little House books, and definately Roald Dahl books. When I'm sick I'll read anything, and when blue, tend to lean towards older stories. I like non fiction on weekends with lots of time or over a vacation.