Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Too big for my britches

This is not about conceit. This is literal about not fitting into my pants. This is not about being pregnant. This is about being fat*.
As it is snowing giant flakes right now, I thought I should wear a pair of my warmer pants this morning. While I could zip them up, when I did ghastly mounds of flesh extruded from the waistband. It was not pretty. I weighed myself. Also not pretty.

In past years, my college has had a workplace fitness program to encourage employees not to gain weight over the holidays. Apparently it is not happening this year, but I clearly need some external motivation to do something about fitting into my pants. If I weigh less than I do now when I return for second semester, I will use the money I would have needed for new pants and treat myself to a pedicure and make a $50 donation to Feeding America (formerly America's Second Harvest) to help those who food issues are far different from mine. If I don't, I buy pants and still make the donation.

I'm asking help for two ways: 1) exercise with me and don't encourage me to overeat over the holidays and 2) encourage me by agreeing to help increase my donation to Feeding America if I succeed (something like $1 for every week I reach my goal of 70,000 steps or a $10 donation if I make my January goal). Feeding America is a great organization and I would love to think that I can somehow eat less so that others can eat more. Talk to me about the possibilities (even you lurkers).

The starting weight is 0.0 pounds.

*This is also not a call for you to tell me that I look fine. I know I look fine. I know that my blood pressure is good and that I exercise enough not to be terribly unfit. I know that my family will love me regardless of my size. I also know that this size is bigger than I have been in my life and I do not want to keep it.

6 comments:

Irene said...

Oooh, I like the donation idea. I'll kick in $10 if you meet your goal.

I can empathize with the frustation of not being able to fit into one's pants... I've managed to lose most of the pregnancy weight, despite having gained rather more than the recommended 25-30 lbs. But I'm still just enough over my previous weight that some of my favorite pairs of pants don't fit.

janet said...

ooooh mama! i'm gettin' FAT! i have gained about 20 pounds since i got back. it is not good. but i also know that people love me and i probably look pretty decent anyway. BUT...it is getting old not being able to fit into any of my clothes. and...i hate to buy big clothes. you know.

well...i think i should join you somehow. oh...also...i have a 20 year reunion coming up in the summer, so not being "the biggest i've ever been" would be nice. i'm thinking i need to come up with a plan like yours as a way to get off my own arse. i will give you 10 bucks if you make your goal. maybe i should make a goal of my own about buying pants.

Anonymous said...

Count us in for $10 and I will try not to overfeed you during the holidays. I still have a few pounds to lose, I'll see what I can do about that

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks Irene, Janet and Prairie Quilter, I'll be talking to you all in person.
Within half an hour of my posting this yesterday our school nurse announced the weigh-to-go program, which I signed up for. In the unlikely event that I win (only one winner, based on total weight loss between now and Jan. 12), the $50 will also go to Feeding America.
In the interest of full disclosure my weight was +5 pounds today, but I do honestly believe that was from being weighed mid-afternoon with pretty bulky clothes and shoes on, not that I actually gained five pound overnight.

Beth said...

Count me in for the $10. I had hit a new low weight this month (-6 from where I was and it was holding) - but then I got bloated and am back (I'm sure it's temporary) to +6 the new low. sigh. I want to keep losing some even though I broken down and bought bigger pants for this year. I was +4 of the new low at the last MD appt and she was happy I lost 2 lbs of the 10 she wants me too.

Jennifer said...

Hi Lisa,
I will go in for $10 as well. I will also set my own goals - I need to buy a scale though to keep track. Both me and the mister need to knock off some pounds and more importantly, get into a routine of getting exercise. We started last night by going for a late night walk. I think we are going again tonight, despite the snow.