Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Raymond

Raymond Chronos Darcy, the 1996 Saturn Wagon Green Nookie Monster*, turned 150,000 yesterday near Flagler, Colorado. Readers with exceptional memories might recall the big guessing game of December 2002: where would Nazareth* turn 200,000?
Readers with super-exceptional memories will recall that Nazareth turned 200,000 at the Burlington, Colorado exit on I-70, between the state line (Molly's guess?) and the first place one sees the mountains (Irene's guess?). Raymond's big moment was 36 miles and 7 years from Naz's and also between the state line and the first view of Pike's Peak.
Readers must be alerted to the fact that I only drive this stretch of I-70 in this direction once or twice a year and the turning point was 415 miles from where I lived with Naz and about 1425 miles from where Raymond lives. It's an odd coincidence.
So, what can we learn from this oddity? a) I keep my cars for a long time b) my cars have unusual names c) I'm not sure-- what lesson do you think that one can draw from strikingly similar mileage birthdays?

*Raymond Chronos Darcy is named after the Nebraska wine region, the Titan (Chronos= Saturn = father of the gods), and Austen's Fitzwilliam.
** Nazareth was named by my college boyfriend after we broke up and he was driving my car while I lived in Scotland. I always wondered if he intended Lazarus, but have never known.
Naz was sold in May 2003 for $400 to a friend who coaxed two more years out of him before he was donated and refurbished and given to a woman leaving a shelter.

6 comments:

Irene said...

Yes, I do recall that my guess was "the point at which one first sees the mountains." I hope the trip is going well thus far - I loved seeing photos of you with Dianthus and Bridgett with her little one in Lawrence.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

It turns out that Chronos is time and Cronus is Saturn is the Titan of farming and father of the gods.

Erin said...

I sometimes picture Nazareth in retirement. Enjoying his silver years drinking motor oil (his favorite) and enjoying the scenery.

salsis said...

Wow, how'd you get so many miles on Raymond in that amount of time? The Red Bull* is about 130,000 & I hope makes it to 200K! *Ha - I never thought of a good name til now. My red Taurus. Glad you are in Colorado! Merry xmas!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Salsis, Raymond had 60,000 when I bought him. His first summer he drove to Montana, the second all the way to the West Coast, he's had four years of WV to CO winter trips, a giant road trip over 8,000 miles, and numerous smaller road trips (KS to CO, WV to DC, WV to NC . . .) and even though we don't drive to work, many weekend shopping trips add 200 miles.

Marieke said...

Happy New Year! I can't wait to see what new themes 2010 will bring. Hope all are well!