Friday, February 12, 2010

New Noodle Resolve

While I still have things to say about legumes* (resolution 2009) and rodents (resolution 2007), and sparkling wine (resolution 2003)**, and a backlog of books to discuss, the solar year is well underway, the lunar new year begins Monday and it's time to move on.
To Noodles
In 2010 or the Year of the Tiger, I resolve to:
  • cook an interesting pasta recipe (actually following a recipe) at least once a month
  • learn how to make good chicken noodle soup
  • eat noodle dishes from at least seven different cuisines (Thai, Italian, Chinese and Japanese noodle traditions jump immediately to mind. I know there are many others in southeast Asia and Eastern Europe and I have very little idea about noodles in the Americas or Africa. I hope to find out).
  • eat noodles made from at least 4 different grains
  • make noodles from scratch at least four times
  • make stuffed pasta from scratch at least once (not actually a noodle, but something I want to do)
  • explore noodle related media***
Soba, udon, spaetzle, kugels, pad thai, lasagna, stroganoff, "freaky space age noodles" and vermicelli may receive special attention. I did not knowingly choose this because noodles are in this year (according to my mother, who usually has a very good sense of food trends), but if I am cutting edge (or just a trendy wanna-be), so be it.
In order to help with this resolution, you can
  • suggest noodle recipes
  • visit and cook noodles with me
  • suggest noodle-related media
  • prod if I haven't posted noodle news in a while
  • think of a catchy phrase or label for these posts

Noodle on!

* e.g. "check out Debbie's image of a pigeon pea in Haiti"
** Perhaps not shocking, I have nothing more to report on my 2004 resolution "losing my fear of pink".
***Off-hand I can think of two songs, "Oh top of spaghetti" and Leftover Salmon's "Pasta on the Mountain"; one movie, Tampopo; and one made up religion, pastafarians that follow the flying spaghetti monster that would count as noodle related. I obviously need suggestions.

11 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

One revelation from my trip to Tokyo was the ramen noodle shops, makers of a dish almost totally unrelated to the little packets beloved by college students.

I have been able to recreate a version of what I had in Tokyo, so if you want to try ramen, I can advise.

Irene said...

As a confirmed noodle addict, I approve of this resolution and look forward to hearing more about it.

Perhaps in the spirit of collaboration/sharing/shameless copycatting, this will be the year that I finally use the pasta-making attachment on my KitchenAid?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

AR- Ramen! I definitely meant to include ramen on the list that will receive special attention. I want to learn about real Tokyo/Tampopo/Momofuku style ramen as well as exploring the wonders of college packet ramen.

I- Of course you should use your pasta attachment. I'd like to join you for a use, but you should dust it off with or without me.

Beth said...

ALso Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is an excellent book (haven't seen the movie) for media.

I can also send you my recipe for pasta sauce - in either the from scratch or from cans/jars version depending on when tomatoes are available.

Ad Astra said...

Great idea! I hear there are tofu-noodles out there that are great, but haven't sought them out.

Marieke said...

Books about noodles:

Oh I thought of another one! Besides Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, one of my childhood favorites. Love the illustrations.

It's another children's book: Strega Nona by Tomie de Paola. Vats of pasta!

Debbie said...

I'll email a photo of the noodles in the market in Haiti. Still not clear where all the food comes from. I bought popcorn but wonder if it's really US import.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Great ideas and suggestions. Thanks. Keep them coming.

Praiire Quilter said...

Some of you beat me to the children's books! When you are ready for cicken and noodles, I can give you advice. I'm not an expert, but I have been making noodles with the "experts" at church for about 5 years now.

Debbie said...

Next time you're in Lawrence we can eat at all the noodle shops! http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/feb/17/noodle-wars-starchy-staple-ingredient-choice-sever/

L 3/2 said...

"The Linguine Incident" is a fun movie with a noodly name. I don't think Netflix has it, but you might find it on Ebay or Amazon. I first watched it when visiting Reggae in the hospital in college.

I am a big fan of all words that rhyme with noodles- oodles, poodles, kaboodles. I'll look forward to oodles of noodles in 2010!