Monday, October 25, 2010

In which I punt in the Scottish Literature Clishmaclaver and say nice things about Jekyll and Hyde and Wuthering Expectations

Amateur Reader from Wuthering Expectations is hosting a Scottish Literature Challenge this year (details here). AR is trying to stimulate discussion and conversation about Victorian Scottish Literature. As a big fan of many things in Scotland (gardens, music, oatcakes, an Englishman* I met there . . . ) and discussing books in general, I signed up right away.
I intended to read [linked list inserted here].

Thus far, I have read three Robert Louis Stevenson stories: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Markheim, and The Pavilion on the Links.

It was my first time reading Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and as "Jekyll and Hyde" has made it into common parlance, I figured I knew the plot. The story opens with characters other than Jekyll or Hyde and I realized with a start that not only did I have no idea what happened to these new characters, I had no idea what was going to happen to Jekyll/Hyde. Knowing that Jekyll and Hyde are the same person is knowing a premise, not a plot.
The story is good, very good, and I can't quite think what I have to say about it.
Most of Hyde's misdeeds happen off-stage, so one must imagine what a man without any conscience has been up to at nights. AR points out that this, "let's Hyde be as decadent as the reader's imagination allows, which is also amusing. The more innocent the reader, the more puzzling the story." I can imagine a time in my life when I would have found Jekyll and Hyde rather silly instead of frightening.
I noticed the role of wine and other transforming potions because AR and friends had mentioned them and likewise thought more about the ch0ice for the story to be mostly revealed in letters after the action has taken place because the subject had been mentioned on Wuthering Expectations.
The story ends abruptly with the end of Dr. Jekyll's letter. It is exactly where Dr. Jekyll's letter should end, but ending the story there didn't sit right with me. Still, any additional resolution outside the letter would have just been plain wrong.

Besides having nothing novel to say about The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, reading it felt like cheating in the Scottish Literature challenge. Stevenson was born in Scotland, but the story is a London story. There is nothing Scottish about it.
I therefore read two other R.L. Stevenson stories from the illustrated classics volume I had checked out of the library. At least one of them, "The Pavilion on the Links", felt remotely Scottish. It takes place in Scotland and the Scottish setting contributes to the story. It's one of those well-crafted stories with a final punch that made me wonder if anything I had just read was as it seemed, but not compelling enough to actually make me go back and re-read it with an informed perspective.

"Markheim" is another London struggle between the good and evil contained within one person. I was pleased to learn that it was written before Jekyll and Hyde. Markheim is an intriguing tale in its own right, but as it relies on a supernatural appearance, it would be a lame follow-up to Jekyll and Hyde, the brilliance of which is that an ordinary man can simultaneously harbor such good and bad intentions.
Thinking about Markheim (1885) and Jekyll and Hyde (1886) made me want to re-read The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) and wonder what was going on in the streets of London in the 1880s that so much evil can be found within "ordinary" looking people.
Altogether, I haven't much to contribute to the discussion of Scottish Victorian Literature thus far. I must read some more.

However, I do want to put in a plug for having something like Wuthering Expectations in one's life. Most of my life comprises things I do well or things I need to get done (many items I feel should be listed under the former too often fall under the latter, but this is a fact of life). I don't devote much time to things I am not particularly good at that don't need to get done. In absence of a knitting group, I don't knit. Without good instructors, I don't flail around in aerobics classes. I haven't struggled to keep up with a foreign language in years. But I do read small doses of thoughtful literature appreciationism daily.

Because Amateur Reader is an acquaintance in "real life", I started reading Wuthering Expectations the week it was launched and have been feeling well-read (by proximity) or completely unrefined (I don't read Victorian poetry and don't envision myself starting any time soon**) for three years since. It is great to have something to debate in my mind while washing the dishes ("saying that writing can't be beautiful because it doesn't look good on the page is like saying that a piece of music can't be beautiful because the score appears like almost any other") even if I am a month behind the discussion. I recently dreamed about compiling a list of narrators whose book we were reading as we read a novel. I kept reminding myself to keep track because it wasn't just Vonnegut (Yes, I forgot before I awakened).
Reading the Victorian Literature thoughts of somebody else isn't for everybody, I know, but let this serve as a public service message to do something that is well outside of what you do well or what you need to do.
And thanks for AR for keeping me thinking in a different way.

*It always did make me rather sad that my great Scottish romance was with an Englishman. Said Englishman, however, was in love with Scotland at the time, and my mother has always considered him Scottish, so it almost counts.
**With the exception of Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses.

5 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

Gee, thanks.

I am an innocent reader, myself, so I assume that Hyde goes out at night and cheats on Jekyll's diet. Eats an entire meat-lover's pizza, or an Italian beef-Italian sausage combo - with cheese!

I think you're right, that the ending, which I guess really means the order in which we are told things, is another source of disquiet. Like the dissecting theater.

I have seen more than one critic claim that the London of J&H is not really London, but Edinburgh. On what this is based, I do not know. But the dissecting room is certainly meant to invoke Edinburgh's unsavory history with dissection - grave-robbings and even murders to supply the medical students.

Completely agree with your judgment of those two short stories.

Assume you are handed ten pages of symphonic music - no titles, no composers. I tell you that one piece is beautiful and nine are insipid. Do you have more than a one in ten chance of identifying the beautiful one? Humming is allowed; a piano is not.

A Child's Garden of Verses is wonderful. Soon D. will be sailing paper boats all around the world.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

AR-
Given ten pieces of music, I do not have any better than a one in ten chance of picking the beautiful one.

This was part of my argument with your Sept. 28 post. You had stated that music could be appropriately described as beautiful ("Actually, I use the word all the time, about scenery, and art, and music."), but then suggested that one reason writing should not be described as beautiful is because it all looks the same ("Fundamentally: open a book with your favorite page of beautiful writing (calligrammes excepted) and set it next to your most reviled page of ugly writing. Print out something from Wuthering Expectations, perhaps. Step back several feet. The additional mediation required by literature changes too much.").

For that day, applying your logic to music was a sensible counter-argument. If you are willing to judge musical beauty based on how it strikes the ears, rather than how if looks, the beauty of writing should be judged based on how it strikes the imagination, rather than how it looks.
By the next day, the discussion on WE had progressed well beyond my pointing out of the inconsistency (and, importantly, I had no meaningful suggestions for how one could judge beauty in writing).

I couldn't imagine J+H in Edinburgh (even though I've spent more time there than London and Edinburgh historically creepy parts are more intact), but then I couldn't envision it in Philadelphia either, and I've been in several very creepy Victorian dissecting theaters in Philadelphia. Probably because Hyde couldn't get a meat lovers with extra cheese in Edinburgh-- my image of Victorian Edinburgh just doesn't have as many people out all night (and doing things other than just drinking) that J+H requires.

Marieke said...

Sitting here listening to a late-night BBC radio programme playing The Goldberg Variations -- instantly thought of you.

I want to know more about your dream about making a list of narrators! I'm a little bit behind -- I just posted today on reading or writing dreams.

And I'm a LOT behind on my Scottish reading... Alice Munro's The View from Castle Rock is getting me in the mood though.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

Sorry - I lost track of this thread. I would be interested to hear an argument that the aesthetic response to hearing music is essentially similar to the response to reading a text. Right now, though, I don't believe it. But reading music might be similar to reading a text, that I believe.

My suspicion is that "striking the ears" and "striking the imagination" are such different processes that I should be careful about analogizing them ("strikes the ears" should instead line up with "strikes the eyes," right?). Maybe they're closer than I think. I wonder what the neurologists say.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

My thoughtful (but completely wishy-washy) reply just fell into the ether. Must be time for bed.
I'll try again tomorrow.