Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Juno's Questions for Other Readers

E-mail me the questions you'd like to ask the other readers of Juno's Daughters and I will add them here.
  1. Do you think your response to the book would be different if you had a different set of familial relationships? (e.g. I have no sisters, am the mother of 2 boys, and both my parents [married to each other] have been a stable and positive force in my life. Some aspects of the book just felt bizzaro to me, but might not have if I had a trying relationship with a sister or my mother was younger and struggling alone as I was growing up).

4 comments:

Lise Saffran said...

Hi,
I'm actually the mother of two sons-with a brother-but one of my primary reasons for writing is to try to imagine unfamiliar situations from the inside out. And of course I have been (and am) a daughter. Perhaps it's because I am the mother of boys that this was such an interesting topic for me. And I will admit I borrowed a lot from what I saw friends going through--I've had a number of women tell me that Jenny's life (particularly those with older, risk-taking daughters) was a lot more like theirs than they usually care to admit--or had imagined when they first brought their little bundle home!

Ad Astra said...

The exploration of differences in parenting (Jenny's, her sister's, her parents) was an aspect of the that was thought provoking. It was easy for me to judge Jenny, but I'm not sure how I would recommend handling Lilly. It's easier to advise/judge than to act, so I'm glad we are talking about a fictional character!

salsis said...

Yes - I am a single child with rather sheltered childhood - so I was appalled at the things Jenny let her kids do, and by extension appalled at Lise. I'm glad she's sharing in this discussion to remind us she is not Jenny! & I think that if Lise wasn't a part of this, I wouldn't be thinking of her. I never associated any other fiction writer with the main character in this way (I don't think the authors of save the world from scary virus books have experience in such matters).

Prairie Quilter said...

i don't know that different familial relationships would make any difference about my fillings about Lilly. I THINK MY MORAL VALUES WOULD STILL BE THE SAME. Being a teenager in the early 19860s was much different than the time Lilly was a teenager. If Lilly had grown up during that time we would have a completely different story