Monday, February 20, 2012

STIR up your reading, 2012

During the second half of 2011, I read 2 or 3 (or 4 or 5) books a week. I've read none in the last six weeks.
Whoah. I never read no books.
I don't even have one in progress that I'm not liking which is slowing me down. I've just not been reading.
But that is changing.
STIR 2012 is here.
Once again, each month or so one of my friends will be picking a book that she or he wants to read and thinks I would like*, promoting that book in advance on my blog so other friends can join, discussing it with me (in person, over the phone or electronically) and allowing me to share the discussion.
I'm also hoping to have another author involved with our discussion, as happened with Juno's Daughters, but lined up in advance and happening over the summer.
What to do now: 1) pick a month is you want to be a selector
2) check out the February(ish) and March selections and read them if you'd like.
3) think if you know of an author who would like us to read her or his work and would be willing to discuss it with us.

February: The City and the Mountains by Eça de Queirós (read up on other works by Eça de Queirós here on Wuthering Expectations as part of the Portuguese Literature Challenge). My copy, translated by Margaret Jull Costa, was a Christmas gift from MBiL, with whom I will be discussing it.
March: The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins Everybody is reading it, why don't we? My kind cousin sent me the trilogy for Christmas. Read the story before the movie

Summary of 2011 to come someday in the meantime, links here.


*Fiction, under 500 pages, no horror. We laugh about how well our students read directions, but fewer than half of the selections in 2011 met these criteria.

7 comments:

salsis said...

Someone on NPR said that squirrels make good botanists!

I was going to suggest reading a book on which a movie is based, one that people might not know started as a book, like Planet of the Apes or Omega Man. Any ideas? I never read Wizard of Oz book, but I think you have a post about it.

salsis said...

44 holds on the Hunger Games at the library! I will check used bookstores.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

So far so good with the Eça novel. It includes a century-old reference to molecular gastronomy.

Here is another good - a better - survey of Eça's books and career. Just ignore what he says about this particular novel.

papillon said...

Can I sign up for a month? I just started The Immortal L ife of Henrietta Lacks. I think all you science folks will enjoy the history bèhînd the HeLa cells. Written like a fictional story, the reader enjoys meeting the Lacks clan and then is intertwined with Henrietta because we all benefitted from her cells.

papillon said...

Can I sign up for a month? I just started The Immortal L ife of Henrietta Lacks. I think all you science folks will enjoy the history bèhînd the HeLa cells. Written like a fictional story, the reader enjoys meeting the Lacks clan and then is intertwined with Henrietta because we all benefitted from her cells.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Papillon, You can certainly sign up for a month, but it can't be with the HeLa book because it was Beth's selection in November (http://sparklingsquirrel.blogspot.com/search?q=skloot).
However, Beth and I have not formally discussed it, so we'd love to have you in on the discussion. And I'd love for you to choose another book for a month.

Debbie said...

When do we discuss the Hunger Games? 3 people at work read it too. I stayed up past my bedtime reading it!