Monday, September 21, 2015

Dragons and Kings in Our Midst: On Other Migrants

Politics is making me grumby lately.  So I'm not going to write about immigration in the US or the migrant crisis in Europe or . . .  many other things.  That many people I care about are unwell is also making me very grumbly.  While we are at it I could grumble about some of my students, some of my colleagues and some of the young people living in my house.  But I won't.

The monarchs are flying through.  A few pairs of lost looking kites are hanging around, and for about ten minutes on Friday evening, Sept. 18 we were under a cloud of dragonflies heading south.

Anyone know anything about dragonfly migration?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a few monarchs; the eastern phoebe pair has come back and keep flying to their abandoned nest, I've seen several small groups of geese beginning to bunch up, must be that fall is coming. I've seen several coveys of 18 quail; that is wonderful. Maybe the quail are coming back, several prairie chicken in our pastures. I haven't seen a pheasant for weeks; don't know if there aren't any or just bad luck.
And on the domestic animal side, number of cats just keeps climbing; at least 6 new kittens!!! Wonder if I can convince some of them to fly south---and then forget how to get back next spring??????

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Are your egrets gone?

Anonymous said...

Egrets flew the coop after only one day---probably ate all my fish and then there was no reason to stay.
Doves are getting into bigger and bigger bunches. Rather warm for fall, but creatures seem to be able to read the calendar.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

More monarchs flying south this morning.

Anonymous said...

I have seen some gorgeous tarantula hawks around the yard, but not much in the way of monarchs. Of course, several weeks of mid-90s heat has kept me indoors a lot more than usual, too. I still can't get used to summer weather in late Sept and October...
Molly