Monday, February 20, 2017

Let's Get This Pie Year Started*

So the robins are back, the spirea is blooming and spring is happening apace (Ha! based on National Phenology Network Data** it is anomalous that I have had Friday field trips with temperatures in the 80s and 70s in early February-- we are somewhere 2-3 weeks early):  I should get this pie year started.

During the Year of Pie, I resolve to:
1) Bake at least 1 pie per month
2) Teach others to bake pie
3) Eat pie with conversations for peace (see post below and watch for updates)
4)  Make meat pies, hand pies, and pot pies
Thanksgiving 2016
5) Eat at least one piece of pie not baked by me each month
6) Try at least six new pies
7) Make pastry with lard, hot water crust, all butter, all shortening and cream cheese
8) Celebrate Pi Day on March 14
9) Read pie books
10) Watch pie movies and listen to pie music.

Of course, as my resolutions are group endeavors, I would be happy to hear your suggestions for books I should be reading, places I should be eating pie, and recipes I should be trying.  Off hand, I know of no pie movies, but I'm sure you can help me.

Happy ten years of themed blogging!
Pie year is started!

(Oh, bird year continues, by the way-- I haven't given up on any of my resolutions***)


*A version of "Let's get this party started" if you can't hear my puns in your head.

**The National Phenology Network records indicators of seasonal change by aggregating data from lots of individuals across a large area with a wide range of species.  Data from the network can be used, among other things, to determine if plants, migrant birds and insect pollinators are reacting to the same climate cues [they typically aren't].  Starting from individual efforts at separate universities, the coordination of the network has been supported by the United States Geological Survey, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service, the National Science Foundation and the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service.  Thanks to Sunflower Spinner for bringing this to my attention.

***2016 Birds
2015 Glowing
2014 Roots
2013 FLORAGANZA
2012 Acid
2011 Stars
2010 Noodles
2009 Legume
2008 Luck
2007 Rodents
2006 Fruit or spice, poorly
2005 Fruit or spice, poorly
2004 Pink
2003 Sparkling wine

2 comments:

amandancer05 said...

Watch the movie Waitress with Keri Russell. ALso, it was recently made into a musical on Broadway. I do not know if it's still playing, but you could find you tube videos of the music for sure. The movie is very awesome though in a indie chick flick sort of way.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks Amanda! I will add it to the list.