Monday, July 2, 2018

Some lists after a month and 5,200+ miles (plus a quick plane trip to Florida)

My thoughts on real issues related to our recent travels (i.e. witches, immigration, and travel itself) are still fermenting, just like the kimchi I intended to make with the daikon and Napa cabbage I bought Saturday.  So, here are a few easy to assemble lists.

Providence
States visited: 19.  Two to four new ones for me (Rhode Island and Connecticut were entirely new, but I had previously turned around after accidentally crossing a bridge into Maine previously, and had spend many hours at the Miami airport, but not outside it).  The Mister and I are both officially at 49 (with Hawaii left for him and Alabama for me), although I don't think either his Anchorage airport adventures nor my Hawaii and Alaska travels at under a year count.

Capitols observed from the interstate: Oklahoma City, Topeka, Des Moines, Lansing, Boston.  Capitols observed more closely (from the outside): Madison, Providence.
Hartford, evidence with the legs of Nathan Hale
Capitol entered: Hartford.  I think my mother is still winning this competition. I lost an advantage I had with Richmond, Dover, and Annapolis two years ago and this trip she and Dad added Albany, Hartford, Providence and Harrisburg.  They are planning a trip to Bismark and Pierre in September, so until I go to Juneau, my only remaining edge will be Raleigh.

Boats ridden: a bunch.  I think that's a separate post.

Good friends and good relatives seen:  Also a bunch.

Fingerprints to show I was inside in Hartford
Pies eaten: Only 4 (?).  Grape from Naples, NY in Rockport, MA.  Rhubarb (good flavor but lacking crust) and Oh No! (chocolate pecan) in Fremont, Indiana.  Strawberry Rhubarb in Princeton, IL and Triple Berry in Pella, Iowa.

Gelato eaten:  Lots, in Newport, RI, Portland, ME, Rockport, MA, and twice in NYC.  Pistachio plus another flavor every place.  Plus frozen custard (Wisconsin and Illinois), and local ice cream (MA, NJ, PA and a soda fountain in Moline, Illinois).

Baseball games attended: 2.  Newport Gulls taking on the Plymouth Pilgrims and the Cleveland Indians beating the Detroit Tigers 10-0 after a rain delay.

Gully, the Newport Gulls Mascot
Musicals seen: 2.  Spongebob Squarepants, the musical, on Broadway.  A Year with Frog and Toad in Princeton, Illinois (I know the host family of the music director for the latter, and they got us great seats).

Interesting Food Eaten: Sri Lankan on Staten Island, Eritrean in Portland, Banh Mi in Syracuse . . . and so much more, which I suppose, is tied up with my thoughts on immigration, travel and "Americans" watch this space as fermentation happens.
Waiting out a rain delay






Indians won. Dianthus and I waited for the 11:30 fireworks.

No comments: