Sunday, March 11, 2007

What to do in this one rabbit town?


The Mister has seen this rabbit on several occasions. I have not seen it yet, but for the most part he (or she) seems to be all that's going on among the small mammals (rabbits are not rodents) in town.

I bring this up because the NCAA East Region Division II Women's Basketball tournament is in town. We had 8 teams (mostly from PA and NC) here on Friday, 4 played again yesterday, and the regional championships (which include a school we know and work for) are tomorrow (Monday) night. I'm trying to figure out what the people travelling with the other teams are doing this weekend. I enjoy my life here, but I have a house where I can read and write and cook delicious meals (or eat delicious meals that the mister cooks). I have my tennis equipment handy so I could take advantage of the unexpectedly warm day yesterday. I have no expectations of entertainment. I am not a tourist. What does a tourist here do in March?

Our town is rural and small but not quaint. The coffee shop recently closed. Except for the "Common Place" and the dollar stores, everything is closed on Sunday. The physical beauty of the area is somewhat subdued in March when the hills are brown, the grass straw-colored, and the sky gray. Hiking at the local state park would just be muddy. There is mall, strip mall and big box shopping an hour away, but it's no different than shopping in PA or NC (although I do forget that many people like to travel and shop at comfortably same stores.) Bowling alleys and movie theaters are an hour away. Little historical museums are all closed for the winter. The birds are out, but the deer are shy in the day. And there's just one bunny in town. How are the basketball fans spending their days?*

*This is not intended to discourage anyone from visiting us. I think Sunflower Spinner and our parents can all attest that it is a very comfortable place to visit and read and meander and hang out and eat delicious food at our house. It's just not a place that offers many tourist attractions to motel-residents in early March.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to hear that the coffee shop closed. I would imagine that it would be difficult to be a tourist in your town. Maybe they sit in their hotel room watching tv and eating pepperoni rolls? Or drive around a lot.
Sunflower Spinner