Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bear!

Brief bear blog. The Mister and I are sitting out on our motel balcony in Copper Harbor, Michigan looking out over Lake Superior and drinking Michigan wine (well, sorta Michigan wine; wine made in Michigan from California grapes), when two bicyclists enter the parking lot. Ever the eavesdroppers, we look up when they say, "Was that a bear?" and, indeed running past the bottom of the staircase is a full-grown black bear. We run down the stairs and watch it disappear into the shrubbery while assuring the bicyclists that they are not crazy.
A great end to a great day (although I notice that darkness and Michigan wine are not enhancing my typing skills).

2 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Immediate follow up comment. As I was writing, the police came by and warned the people downstairs to stay inside, there is a bear wandering around. I looked up and the bear crossed the street and disappeared in between two cabins half a block away. I called to the mister (now off the porch since I took away the computer and the mosquitos came out). He missed it, but is now on serious black bear patrol. We haven't seen a bear since our honeymoon two years ago.

Anonymous said...

Hey-

The NYT has an article today about Michigan's wine country.