Monday, July 9, 2007

Halfway Challenge

Exciting game here on Sparkling Squirrel: how far will the Great American Great Lakes road trip lead us? Big prize (probably dinner with the Mister and me in West Virginia) to the reader who comes the closest to the actual total mileage of our summer road trip.
Useful information: today marks 5 weeks into our trip, which will likely be about 8 weeks.
We hit 5,000 miles last weekend at Chicago.
While that was halfway time-wise into our trip, we intend for it to be less than halfway, distance-wise.
According to mapquest, we are 994 miles from home by the shortest driving route.
We are not taking that route.
We have campground reservations for the next two nights in the Porcupine Wilderness and no definitive plans beyond that, other than taking prairie dog to Canada. We may try to hit the U20 Wold Cup finals in Toronto, we'll definitely sample Ontario wine.
Guesses?

8 comments:

janet said...

you didn´t state whether you were using price is right rules or not. anyhoo...my guess will be 11,111.

Irene said...

I will guess 12,000.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Big mistake on my part, I intended to say that we intended 5,000 miles to be more than halfway (we did go from WV to IL to KS to CO to WY to MT to SD to MN to WI to IL in the first half and we are only going from IL home in the second. So you can re-guess if I misled you.

Anonymous said...

I liked Janet's guess.
So now I will say 8,888.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Janet is having internet problems back in Ecuador (yes, discriminating readers, Janet is hobbling around back in Ecuador. Yay Janet!) and was considering guessing 6,666, which she shouldn,t because we are almost at that mileage now. And, for the sake of clarification, we are going with the strict closest-- above or below.

Jennifer said...

Hmmm - I will guess 8,432

Anonymous said...

And I'll say 8,431
seems like a nice number and likely correct
glenn

janet said...

ok, i pick 7,777 now.