Saturday, February 9, 2008

Stepping into the world of luck

I've been contemplating all the things I could post about in my initial explorations into luck and find myself surprised by how many there are. They include:
  • a fortune cookie follow up
  • lucky pennies and the silliness of the "heads up only" school of thought
  • red for the Chinese New Year (and "Wear Red Day")
  • luck being of the devil (I honestly had never considered this before.)
  • my lucky objects
  • how the Mister and I certainly didn't sweep away our good luck by cleaning when the lunar New Year actually arrived, and temporarily without hot water, have not washed it away much either.
  • the superstitions of scientists
  • rat symbolism
  • wow, the internet is full of weird stuff. The Penny Preistess Answers Your Questions ?, indeed.
  • the distinctions between luck, coincidence, fortune, faith, fate, God's will, magic, superstition, wishes, charms, hope, work and belief.

While I I envisioned myself learning about specific good luck traditions (e.g. pennies or red), I find myself pondering the last point a great deal these days. I hope to keep you posted on what, if anything, I figure out. In the meantime, I'd be interested in what luck means to you, relative the the rest of the terms.

4 comments:

Irene said...

I divide luck into 2 categories: the unexpected good fortune, and the narrow escape from something bad. Recently, I found an umbrella that someone had left on a bus, after having lost 2 umbrellas of my own on the train this year. That's the first kind of luck. I don't think I've had any of the second kind lately, but it's harder to tell.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I will soon post about the second kind.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I will soon post about the second kind.

Jennifer said...

I am faschinated by your "theme" for the year.

I noticed you left off your list tapping the ceiling of the car when you go through a yellow light - is that for luck? I imagine you don't run through many yellow lights at o this time, as you walk to work so much.