Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Banjo and Good Luck came and went at pleasure

"They left the door open, and Banjo and Luck came and went at pleasure," reads page 158 of Lucy Maude Montgomery's The Blue Castle. I love the image of luck being closely intertwined with bluegrass and completely out of human control.

The book is a fun one. The Mister and I just booked tickets to the Canadian Maritimes (and it's the Anne Centennial!) and I re-read it to reacquaint myself with Prince Edward Island. Unlike the Anne and Emily books, however, The Blue Castle takes place in Ontario. While it's still the story of a downtrodden girl discovering how to live, The Blue Castle is sillier and more fun than most of Montgomery's other novels. Highly recommended, and it contains these great lines about luck.

"But it was Good Luck they loved. They both admitted that Good Luck was so lovable that he practically amounted to an obsession," (pg. 149) of course, "Luck is a dainty little cat."

Image from catmalojian.com, apparently a band.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Hmm, I've only ever read LMM's "Anne" books. I should read the others sometime... maybe I will read them to Annika someday.

Anonymous said...

As you may have guessed, The Blue Castle is my FAVORITE book.