Saturday, August 8, 2009

Right Size Books

Due to "latching on" issues, I have not been able to read much while nursing Alloicious. Thankfully, I also have parents who not only will cook, walk the screamy baby, fix things around the house and volunteer to take in recycling, but will also chat with me while Alloicious is eating (the vast percentage of his waking time). Hooray for such parents!

None the less, I have found myself either reading or falling asleep during middle of the night feedings, and what I have read has been The Foundling by Lloyd Alexander.

The Foundling was absolutely perfect for my purposes: divided into short sections, large print, small paperback easily held in one hand and a collection of fabulous stories.

It has inspired me to read all of the Pyrdain Chronicles over the next while, as they all have similar virtues as to their physical size. It's also been long enough since I have read them that I opened The Book of Three at three this morning with only a vague recollection that it is about an assistant pig keeper. I am very much looking forward to it.

Here are the images of the book shelves that were supposed to accompany an earlier post. The rest of the room was prepared before the baby arrived and we found another shelf or two of children's books to include.

3 comments:

Beth said...

You already have "Pat the Bunny" - if you did not I was going to get it for you. It was the book I learned to read from by memorizing it.

Marieke said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Looks like he'll be a big reader! Best wishes,
M.

Tucson Trekker said...

It's amazing and wonderful to hear from you so soon after the delivery. I loved Chronicles of Pyrdain when I was about 12. Can't remember it very well now, though, except that Lloyd Alexander is a fantastic storyteller. Been meaning to reread it...

When you have time, do give more news about M/A, yourself, and the mister. Yay awesome parents!!