Sunday, June 13, 2010

A book at last: The Gold Bug Variations

Along with many other accolades ("Best Book of the Year 1991" and so forth) Richard Powers' The Gold Bug Variations now can also be recognized as the book that I actively read for the longest. I started it on the second job interview in February and finished it Monday, reading at least some every week for that period. I didn't read any other adult fiction during that time or put it aside and abandon it. Beyond that, TGBV is the most clever book I have read in a very long time.
Irene gave it to me in December*, describing it as, "a book that was written recently that really feels like literature." I attempted to describe it to Sal Sis when I was visiting in March. I mentioned the connections between Poe's The Gold Bug and Bach's Goldberg Variations and DNA**. She flipped to the back where the words "science" "mystery" and "romance" are all used and asked if it is really a sci-fi mystery or just about relationships. For clarification, TGBV is fiction about science, it is not in the least sci-fi, and it is not a mystery in any book genre sense, (there are mysteries, "how did a brilliant scientist become washed up on the night shift?" and "how can the same four bases code for all of life?" but they are a far cry from whodoneit murders).

Powers captures the wonder of molecular biology: that one simple molecule can lead to life in is infinite varieties, as well as anyone I've ever read. He intentionally captures a moment in the history of biology I'd never previously considered, the time when the structure of DNA was well established but nobody had a good idea how the molecule actually coded for anything. Whether intentional or not, the 1980s are similarly well captured, a time when reference librarians were helpful because they knew in which book to find a piece of information. When I started reading it, all of this just made the book feel dated, by the end, I ignored it as I was fascinated by the human story.

I really want my friends to read this book, but I am struggling as to who, exactly, I would recommend read it. Sal Sis might enjoy it, but it's not sci-fi (and one character takes a few cheap shots at religion). I think it's too slow for most of my family members. I'd be curious about Marieke's or Amateur Reader's thoughts, although I know it doesn't fit in with either's reading plans. Jenny, maybe, would be a good candidate, as would most knitting friends. My Aunt maybe?
While I plan on discussing this with Irene soon, I'd like other people to talk both plot and theme with as well. Read The Gold Bug Variations, or have someone read it, and then let's discuss.
*Thanks Irene!
**The Gold-Bug is about logical code breaking. DNA and the Goldberg Variations are both simple segments repeating regularly that give rise to incredibly varied and complex "wholes" from the same basic parts.

6 comments:

salsis said...

Cool - an on-line book club! I'll finish the Fruit Hunters then find the Gold Bug Var.!

Marieke said...

'Reading plans' - bah! This sounds really neat. Sounds like it might fit into the unofficial genre of scientist fiction as opposed to science fiction.

I wonder if I could get my husband interested in this (but he's a physicist). We're trying to find books of mutual interest to read together.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Marieke- written by a white male American about heterosexual white Americans, it can't count for any of your challenges.

I also need to be clear-- what this book does well is does very well, but it has some major flaws. The story itself is well-- hmmm . . .cliched? . . and the format sometimes feels more clever than useful, that he is trying very hard to be clever rather than trying very hard to write a good book. There are reasons other than moving and baby and teaching that it took me five months to read. On the other hand, I was never tempted to not finish it.

Irene said...

I'm delighted that you liked it, SpSq! I hope I remember enough of the details to be able to converse intelligently about it... I'm a great reader, not so great at remembering what I read after more than a few months.

Beth said...

I think I need to get a library card so I can read it. :-) One of my goals is to get more books from the library.

Jenny said...

I love your book reviews/suggestions, SpSq!