Monday, February 14, 2011

A big heart for star dads

Based on the projects hanging on the wall at day care, there is a good chance that Dianthus could come home today with a heart-shaped card saying that he loves his mommy. There is a much much smaller chance that he'll come home with a card saying that he loves his daddy.
Last year at day care Dianthus "made" me a lovely Mother's Day card while Father's Day went unnoticed. In everyday sets of baby socks, you'll find some with "Mommy loves me" made into a pattern. I've never seen any "Daddy loves me" socks mixed in with the stripes and monkeys.
This makes me sad. I understand that children are statistically way more likely to be with their mothers than their fathers (a state of society that also makes me sad), but I hate seeing the huge quantities of love that exists between fathers and their children go unrecognized. Admittedly, the Mister doesn't actually want a card made by one of the day care teachers with Dianthus's scribbles on it, but given that it is the Mister who does 70% of the interacting at daycare, who adjusts his schedule when Dianthus is sick, and brings in the supplies when the diapers and wipes run out; I wish the day care were at least able to acknowledge that he deserves a card as much as I do.
While I can't change the state of society, I can remind those of you who also have star dads to tell them you love them, and can remind those of you who know star fathers (like my brother, the Mister, my FiL and many of my friends' husbands) to let them know how much good fathering is appreciated.
Papa, I love you.
The Mister, Dianthus loves you (and so do I). Thanks for being a great daddy.

2 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

For the sake of accuracy, I should report that the Valentine Dianthus was sent home with (full of bonus glitter) was to neither mommy nor daddy, just "Happy Valentine's Day! Love, Dianthus". Had we had it earlier we could have sent it on to the grandparents.

Ad Astra said...

So true! Fathers do so many wonderful things, and they are often unheralded! Thanks for the post!