Thursday, February 3, 2011

Star Year of the Rabbit

Happy New Year of the Rabbit!
Besides being a time to eat lucky foods (long noodles and sweet beans among them), the lunar new year signifies the time for me to quit procrastinating and name my new resolution.
Following the advice of my trusted advisors, the new resolution is,
Dat-ta-da....

STARS

[Star-like fireworks should follow in your brain.]
Many of you, trained as you are to be critical thinkers, will follow the star-like fireworks with the obvious question, "What does one resolve to do in the Year of Stars?"
That, my friendly readers, is a very good question.
I don't know, but I'm confident we'll figure it out. Part of my confidence comes from the fact that 2004 was the year of pink. Admittedly, it started out as a far more specific resolution to "Lose my fear of pink wine by drinking many styles of it" but I suddenly found myself wearing gaudy pink rings and sending scented notes on pink stationery. "Stars" isn't much more vague than "explore the world of Rodentia through both biological and pop cultural inquiry" or "explore luck" and most long term readers would agree that rodent and luck turned out better than noodles, despite noodles having very specific aims.

So stars . . .
I will learn to read a star chart.
I will bake my favorite star shaped cookies.
I will learn some very basic real astronomy (book suggestions?).
I will read some star books and watch some star movies and listen to star music (again, I'm open to suggestions, take stars as figuratively as desired).
I will figure out ways that I like star anise and star fruit (not two of my favorite foods).
I will think about starting another quilt (but probably not do it).
I'll try to see shooting stars among the prairie ephemerals.
I will wish upon some stars.
Help me here. What would you do in the year of stars? What do you think I'd enjoy trying?
The sparkling star image was found here.

9 comments:

Marieke said...

Oooh! Happy new year! I'm seeing stars! It's a fantastic choice, so many possiblities. Star signs, stardust, lucky stars. I have the perfect material for your quilt!!! And I'd suggest you could look into the field of astrobiology.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

I just changed my little avatar to celebrate the Year of the Rabbit. Image borrowed from the maginificent Blue Lantern.

My only suggestion for the Year of the Star is to spend some quality time listening to the great, great Etoile de Dakar! And "When You Wish Upon a Star." And, um, "Baby, I'm a Star" by Prince.

Jennifer said...

http://www.stardustmovie.com/

if you haven't seen it or haven't seen it recently, Stardust is a good movie, and would be a great way to start off the new year.

You could learn to throw ninja stars? Have a star-studded Oscar Party? Celebrate Valentines Day with a Star's in My Eyes Romantic Dinner (wow where did that come from lol)? Learn medieval dances with a star pattern (I think one I learned last month that is what they called the pattern).

Paint a picture in the style of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Jennifer said...

oh and of course since the Sun is our local star - anything sunshiny would fit.

salsis said...

Good luck with the star anise. It makes me sick now - 8 yrs ago I made apple crisp from apples my boss picked from somewhere on campus, and put ground star anise in it. And threw it all up that night. Twice. Fortunately I'm ok with cinnamon and other spices that were in it. Just the star anise flavor brings back the memories. I'm still distrustful of apples he picks from random trees around town.

You could watch Starman! I'm pretty sure I saw it when it was out, and caught part of it recently and thought it was cheesy. I'll give it another try if you watch it!

Molly said...

How about a small, star-themed garden? Some part of the anatomy of the plants must be star-shaped, or have star as part of the name...
Also perhaps a subscription to some total fluff gossip magazine might be in order. You know, to keep up on the stars.

Molly said...

Just out of curiosity, did you ever find a pink wine that you really enjoyed?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Molly- I love blanc de noir sparkling wines and have had some fabulous rose champagnes.
As far as still pink wines go, I found that I did enjoy some dry roses (some from Loir valley and some from Oregon) but I never did come to a time when I thought I would prefer a pink wine to a red or a white.
Similarly, during sparkling wine year and after I've had several sparkling reds, and while I don't dislike them, I have yet to figure out a time when I would not prefer either a hearty red or a cold champagne.

Thanks to all for the star suggestions.

salsis said...

A book about a star and rats! or stars and srats.