Friday, April 1, 2011

Lek off for Love

Some clarification about things you may have received in your e-mail today, the first of April.*

  • Yes, I know this is twins for the third year in a row, but my choices become more limited every year. I can't plausibly become engaged now. I have quit my job and moved across the country recently; it's not that interesting to do every nine months. Breaking limbs as a result of clumsiness is just too plausible.

  • I did once put a leek in a toilet as part of an April Fool's joke. It's classic and not a spelling error. Like the twins, it stays.

  • Lek is a real word for the dance of prairie chickens. "Lek" is both a noun and a verb.

  • The Mister's family's ranch includes prairie chickens that are lekking right about now (assuming you are reading this at the crack of dawn, central time).

  • Hand, foot and mouth is, sadly, very real, and both husband and son have had it this week.

  • Actually, everything whiny about the trip to Kansas is true, except that it was actually a great trip.

  • Rutherford Robinia is singular.

  • I became engaged to the archaeologist from the cave April 1, 2003. Some of you have been reading these letters long enough to remember him. He wore leopard print underwear.

  • Somebody stole an April 1, 2004 idea, and is trying to open a gourmet grilled cheese franchise as part of an NBC reality show. Sadly, he misses the best part-- the chocolate and churros, the aphrodisiac foods and the fantasy of quitting a PhD to start it.

  • Very sadly, the number of students suddenly aware that they are failing (today, the drop deadline) is not any sort of joke. Yet another one just e-mailed me "willing to do anything" [except, apparently, come to class, study, or turn in homework]. Urgh.

  • It's sunny and beautifully springy here.

*If you didn't receive the e-mail, and should have, please let me know.

4 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Oh, and the party is really on. We'll meet you there on the thirty-first of June.

Ad Astra said...

I'm so gullible! Thought you were really preparing for a double bundle of joy this summer! Our spring 'break' is coming to a close and I didn't remotely accomplish my very modest list of goals, but strangely, I do feel relaxed and very excited to be back behind my desk come Monday!

janet said...

Always always always LOVE the April first email update from you!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks Janet. Your enthusiasm is one of the reasons I risk needing to tell friends that I have lied to them (in this case, after the friend had told all the former neighbors in WV that I am having twins) and write such a letter every year.