Friday, September 23, 2011

Star Anise Guest Haiku

Before I present this Haiku from guest star SalSis, I'll note that I like star anise, in moderation (although I have ruined several stir fries by overwhelming them with Chinese Five Spice) and have poached pears in red wine and star anise recently to wild acclaim (by me). I'll also note that somehow I have three jars of star anise in my cupboard, so nobody need give me any in my stocking.
Salsis, however, has had more traumatic experiences with star anise, as she pointed out when the star theme was first revealed and now submits this poem:
The taste and odor of star anise forever changed by a bad batch of apples
Star anise you make me puke,
The smell of you and taste.
Batch of apple crisp gone wrong.
You're a star, SalSis. Thank you. And may all your apple crisps be star anise-free this season.

3 comments:

salsis said...

Wow, forgot I already mentioned it. Bad, bad apples.

salsis said...

Ack - it's haunting me. I thought I bought anise extract. Today I looked closer - it's star anise extract! Good news is the bakery supply store that replaced the Bay Leaf sells anise oil - couldn't find it anywhere in town.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

What do you need anise oil for?