Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bright Acid for the Dragon Days

Happy Year of the Dragon!
The moon is growing again, Janet is another year older, and the most depressing day of the year is past*, which means that it is time to announce the new resolution.
Through 2012, the year of the dragon, I will be exploring acid.
If I have learned one thing from watching too much food-television (and we don't even have cable!) this last year, it is that acid brightens everything. I've learned that many things are out of balance, a state which could simply be corrected by the addition of acid.
So I'm going to learn to cook with acid correctly. I have a small flock of vinegar bottles (fourteen? maybe fourteen different kinds of vinegar is a large flock) to help me do it. I'll be writing about vinegar. And citrus (definitely going to get some yuzu, meyer lemons and key limes in the mix). And making pickles. And drinking coffee and wine (okay, I do that anyway).
Beyond that, I'm open. Exploring wit? Acid-washing my jeans as they become to big? Teaching the pH scale? I might be doing cool color change experiments like the Williams sisters, but I probably won't be wearing acid-brights.** I probably won't listen to much acid music and I'm not going to be taking any drug-induced trips.
Anyway, the resolution is acid. Suggest related activities at your leisure.
Many thanks to the Mister who not only gave me a collection of vinegars for Christmas, but suggested the theme unprompted. It's a little scary, and a lot romantic, how well he know me.

*Some study years ago determined that Jan. 24 was the most depressing day of the year. It happened to be a good friend's birthday, so the factoid has stuck. As it happened, three friends had beloved pets die yesterday and two of my colleagues are out of town at funerals of close family members, so it was largely a downer of a day.
**Right after I typed that (this post has been four days in the making) I opened the protective eye wear cabinet in the lab and all of the goggles were in neon colors. It made my day.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

How bout making your own litmus paper from purple cabbage? My housemate puts vinegar in a lot of her Chinese sauces - I have a new appreciation for vinegar.

Anonymous said...

Acid does sound a bit weird, dear daughter, but one quickly starts thinking of yummy dishes with vinegar and/or lemon juice: lemon curd, deviled eggs, lentils, Greek avgolemono soup, stir fried greens, Chinese dumplngs with vinegar rather than soy sauce, and, and, and. I think this will be a good year.
Mom

Erin said...

Will kimchee be on your pickling list? Kimchee hotdog is my new guilty pleasure. Better than kraut.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.
Erin-- I've never heard of kimchee hotdogs. I'll add them to the list of things to experience.

Beth said...

Jan 24 was my grandmothers birthday as well.

As far as acid goes. I have a lemon loaf recipe to share and am looking forward to learning more about acid.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Ceviche has also been suggested-- "cooking" with acid without heat!

Erin said...

I discovered the kimchee dog in Hawaii. It is best with spicy kimchee, preferrably homemade by you or a nice auntie. Pickled mango is also something to try. There are many variations of spices that one can use. Have fun!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Erin, since Korean Aunties are in short supply around here, I'll rely on you for suggested instructions for homemade kimchee.

Erin said...

I have never tried to make kimchee. I am not that brave. I will do some investigating for recipes in Hawaii this summer for you.