Thursday, September 6, 2012

Raising the Bar and Drifting Apart


My Father is drifting away from My Mother

Only a few days into their month long anniversary trip, my mother took a picture of my father drifting away from her.  My father e-mailed it to me with a similar caption and I'm posting it here**, because they were in Iceland, at the very spot on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge where on can see North America separating from Eurasia at about 3 mm per year.  When you are in Iceland, a geologist, and a fan of puns, taking and captioning such a photo is what you do.  When you are a nerdy daughter of a geologist who also likes puns, blogging longingly about it is what you do.
I mean, how much more romantic can you get?


Iceland!  Drizzle! Imperceptible geologic event!

Regular readers of this space will not even need to know that it's 102 degrees here to realize I'm only mocking myself: I would love to be in Iceland in the drizzle looking at weird rocks with The Mister.

I'm planning a getaway trip to "Houston"* with the Mister for his 40th birthday.  We're going to eat good food, see a puppet show, eat some more and probably see a garden or some art, because that's what we do if we're not looking at weird geologic formations or engineering marvels.  I think he's looking forward to it, but has already commented on his apprehension about what this means for future expectations.  Perhaps, he notes, I am raising the bar on birthdays.


Alas, Mister, I was not the one who took me to Paris for the weekend when we'd been dating for 6 months.  I was not the one who made (birthday or anniversary related) "dose of coast" trips every year it was possible.  I'm not the one who planned a fabulous honeymoon with me to see weird rocks in cold conditions on Newfoundland.  I'm not the one who's been married for 45 years to a great travelling companion who sends maps and menus for kids and in-laws to follow.  I'm not even the one who made a birthday getaway to Wichita exquisite with trips to the botanical gardens, art museum, and prairie arboretum in addition to scheduled movie and dinner.

The bar is high for birthdays and travel, but it wasn't me (or at least not just me) who put it there.

*It may not be Houston; actual destination is a secret.

**And I had rotated it already!  How did it end up sideways?

4 comments:

janet said...

I don't know about Houston, but I hear "Houston" is terrific this time of year.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

We're not going to "Houston" until October (even though the Mister turns 40 in a few weeks). I think it will be a nice time of year to be there.
Oh, I'm thinking of trying to have a series of date(ish) nights with the Mister prior to "Houston", involving "Houston". E-mail me if you have suggestions.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Yep, "We'll always have Wichita" commented The Mister upon reading this post.

chat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.