Thursday, October 11, 2012

Good Enough for Centennial in 1989, Good Enough for NYC

So the Mister and I are headed to NYC next week to eat and attend the opera and a puppet show in celebration of his birthday.  After lots of reading message boards and asking for advice on Chowhounds, (and spending a long time on hold exactly 28 days in advance) we have reservations at Eleven Madison Park for lunch on Friday and reservations at a newly re-opened Picholine for great cheese (and more) before seeing Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera on Thursday and I have a pretty good idea of how were going to fill our time.
Now I need to figure out what to wear.
We're only going to be there 50 hours, so we're carrying on our luggage.  I need to wear comfortable shoes; we'll be walking and taking public transportation.  The Mister will probably wear a jacket on the plane.

But what am I wearing?  Advise please!  There is some temptation to just wear black pants the whole time and be done with it, except that it's the opera at the Met.  I'm thinking Cher in Moonstruck.  I want a dress.  And while The Mister fondly looks at me as we trade food at what will certainly be the first, and may likely be the only, 3 star Michelin lunch of our lives, I want to look seductive and beautiful, but not in the opera-going-dress way, and in a way that involves footwear in-which I can whisk through an art museum.

Suggestions?  What would you take?  How many pairs of shoes do you travel with?

By the way, I'm not buying anything new for this trip, so things must be found in my closet.  One thought was a turquise rayon trapeze shirt with giant buttons which looks fabulous on me, and could go with my long straight black skirt, my swishy knee-length black skirt or black pants.  As it happens, I took out the shoulder pads and 1989 is so long ago that nobody thinks that I really wore it on my first date with my college boyfriend.

5 comments:

Erin said...

This is way out of my league. But you can never go wrong with black in a big city. Most people will be wearing it, and it can go from casual to dressy fairly easily with different accessories. If you have a LBD (little black dress), you could wear that with a sweater during the day and something sparkly at night?

Have fun!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Erin about the black, especially in NYC. Shoe advice is tricky-- if it were me I wouldn't bother with fancier yet less comfy shoes unless your hotel is close enough to the Lincoln Center to change into your Moonstruck inspired outfit just before.

Your trip sounds fabulous! Have a wonderful time-- can't wait to hear more about it!

Molly

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Alas, my LBD is too L for my current body. I do have a few go-to black skirts and a pair of black pants that fit really well, but look "professional" rather than dressy.
I know that I can go with all black and not look out of place, but there is part of me that screams that this is my only opportunity to wear something different. I can (and do) teach in all black and not look out of place. It's New York City-- nobody is noticing my clothes-- I can wear something sparkly or short or totally different.
I have a great dress that I always envisioned wearing to the opera, but it is sleeveless and the fitted black velvet shrug that came with it just won't do and then there are the shoes (it looks great with high heeled boots-- I'm not taking them).

I might post images of my shoe choices (not that I will actually follow any of your sage advice). Thanks for the suggestions. OFf to class.

Anonymous said...

Why not the sleeveless black dress you love? (you and Michelle O both have great arms!)

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Anon, because I do not share your assessment of my arms and I also get chilly without my arms covered. I am still probably going with the sleeveless dress (which is wonderful swirly purple bias cut over a black underdress) but will need to find something less stuffy than the black velvet. I did by a mass of silk several years ago to wear as a shawl with the dress-- will need to consider.
Did try on the black skirt options and several are completely do-able, but any skirt or dress comes with shoe issues.