Tuesday, January 15, 2013

There must be acid in the air

I'm trying to wrap up acid year (you might recall these resolutions are on a lunar cycle, even though I have already started the new one) and acid ideas just keep popping up.
My brother and sister-in-law gave us more fermentation books for Christmas, I opened a (non-acid) new cookbook yesterday and the page fell to recipes for pickled carrots and kimchee and flipping through today's mail led me to a bon appetit article on making one's own vinegar with this conclusion:
Making vinegar reminds us of a love affair.  As in all great romances, you must pay attention to its needs, take care of it, and have patience as it ages and transforms into something beautiful.* 
Vinegar and love affairs: there is clearly still acid left for me to explore.
*Hamilton and Hirsheimer (2013) "Sour Grapes" bon appetit. February 2013.  p. 62.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

What's this year's theme? Sesame?!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Debbie, you will find out soon. Alas, it is not sesame.

Ad Astra said...

Fabulous quote!

I'm anxiously awaiting the unveiling of this year's theme.