Monday, July 8, 2013

Flower Failures

I have a large dead spot at the front (street side) of my prairie plantings.  Late June last year, I had liatris, gallardia, echinacea and butterfly milkweed all flowering after the evening primrose and calylophous were done.  One of my neighbors had admitted that it was beginning to look good.

June 9, 2012


May 22, 2013.  Note border and lack of plants in the foreground.

Oenothera. Two days after planting a few days prior to being declared dead.
A year later and the prairie garden is well defined, but everything that was in that part of the garden except one aster, plus all of the poppy mallow, gaura and several oenotheras I have added is dead.  Dead dead.  My neighbor did a walk-by weeding yesterday morning.
Flea beetles, I believe, are one culprit.
Have any suggestions?

3 comments:

janet said...

Argh! Try again? That's my suggestion. Or maybe look at trap crops that flea beetles would gobble up more.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

"Try again" is my general philosophy, but after multiple plantings of things that should thrive here (they grow in roadsides), I figure that it's just dumb to plant more onagraceous things in the same place now (not to mention that one can't find plants around here this time of year). The soil utterly lacking in organic matter can't help plant health. So I planted two totally different plants. If they don't survive, and even if they do, I think I need to kill the weeds and lay down some mulch and try again next year.

janet said...

Oh yes, try again next year. Or this fall. Maybe throw out seeds this fall.