Saturday, April 12, 2014

Burdock

Buying burdock made me giggle, as it felt simultaneously foolish and rebellious to be paying for roots of a weed-- particularly one my father so hates.
Following the directions in Roots, I parboiled matchstick size pieces.
And they were still basically wood.
So I chopped them up in the food processor and made lentil miso burdock soup (inspired by, but not actually following, several different recipes in the book).  It tasted like lentil miso soup with ground up boiled toothpicks.
I might try again some time, but I'm not running out to do so.
Burdock, by the way, is the taproot of Arctium, a weed in the Asteraceae.  The hooked projections of the burrs once caught in curly dog fur are allegedly the inspiration for Velcro.  I understand that young leaves are also edible, although also not tasty, and various diets proclaim the roots to be purifying and super-healthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my mother picking some kind of weed in about 1957 (in the midst of a terrible drought and a time of no money on the farm) and cooking it. Some have told me it was likely lamb's quarter but I don't remember. BUT, we were very, very poor and she was somewhat desperate! What are you doing eating weeds? or roots of weeds? Oh, yes, the weeds we ate were not so good either. grandpa

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I've picked lamb's quarters on many occasions, and actually like it, and I've also picked wild dock, and like it (not to be confused with burdock), but had never before eaten burdock. There are whole parts of the world where it is much revered as a foodstuff (rather than just "if you are desperate it's edible"), and it was in my root cookbook, so I felt compelled to at least try.

Debbie said...

You need to do a rudabega post! My rudabega cooking failed.