Thursday, June 12, 2014

My roots in Missouri?

Tuesday the Mister and I hiked through the oak woods near Branson, Missouri in the rain.  We came upon a glade (a.k.a. "a bald" or "a barren") and there, among the echinacea (including yellow Echinacea paradoxa, a first for me), milkweeds and sedges was a little prairie turnip, right at the Mister's toe.  I was not expecting one of my roots there at the edge of the wet forest, but if it was a snake it would have bit us.
Speaking of snakes that would have bit us, this morning the Mister's Mother found a prairie rattler in her garden as she was weeding.  It wasn't big rattle snake, but it was a rattle snake RIGHT THERE in the garden by the door.  In other wildlife news, the Mister and I saw the smallest frog we've ever seen (tropical tree frogs included) along the path in the Ozarks, and a Plains Leopard Frog on the road here in Central Kansas this morning.
Images sooner or later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did she do with the rattler in the flowerbed?

Anonymous said...

She did nothing with the rattler, but here husband removed the snake to a better place.