Thursday, January 19, 2017

Representing me and 25,000 other households in my demographic

In 2005, the Mister and I were a television family for a major viewership tracking rating system, but only for the Kansas City ratings, not the national numbers.  We were told that we were representing 25,000 other households in our demographic in the Kansas City area.
This floored us.
There were 25,000 other families like us?  In Kansas City?   Who knew?

When I've asked friend to join me marching on Saturday, the looks have been similarly quizzical.  "Here?  In Oklahoma?  There are feminists in Oklahoma?"

My list of why I will march is a hodgepodge of stock answers, from the importance of women's rights as human rights to the power of peaceful assembly, mixed with personal stories.

But mostly it comes down to wanting to proclaim to the world (including the officials elected to represent us) that we are here.  And to proclaim to my neighbors and students and colleagues down the hall that they are not alone.  That there are many of us here.  Yes, here.  In Oklahoma.




2 comments:

Molly said...

We are hosting a house full of marchers from GA, KY, and France... it feels festive in the way I remember Obama's first inauguration feeling and I feel heartened in a way I couldn't have anticipated. I hope you have a good experience tomorrow!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thank you Molly!