Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Progressing with pie, but not to the fair

One of the unwritten goals of Year of Pie was to enter a pie competition.  Our county fair was just last week, and there was no way I was going to get a pie to the fair on Wednesday after Labor Day, so I set my sights on the State Fair, which includes an live judged pie contest next weekend.  And then I found out that registration was due over a month ago.  So I don't know where or when I am competing with my pies.

In the meantime, I baked with students again last week, and we ended with 6 apple and pear pies, several of which were really good.  So I am succeeding at the written goal of teaching people to bake pies.

I also bought (and ate) Oatmeal Cream Pies on our way home from the eclipse. I don't recall if eating convenience store foods wit pie in the name is a written or unwritten goal, but I am succeeding admirably, and don't need (or want) another Oatmeal Cream Pie any more than I need or want another Moon Pie.

As far as actually baking pies, I think I am exceeding my original goal, and I do need to keep track.

September (7 so far)
Fresh Fig Tart on leftover pastry- just now
With students: two crust apple; apple crumble-top (2); apple lattice; pear, cranberry, raisin, and walnut with plaid lattice; and the extra apples and pears baked together.

August (4)
Two beautiful peach for a church picnic
A weird, crustless, gluten-free peach for the eclipse-watching
Buttermilk for the chemo crew

July (4)
Lemon meringue for Aster's birthday
Chocolate chess and apricot for 50th anniversary celebrations
Apricot with all-lard crust as a house guest

June (9)
Pie party: beet; plum; gluten-free no-bake plumberry; lemon meringue; chocolate chess; coconut cream
Some slightly overdone, a few both overdone and underdone.
All tasty.
Blackberry-rhubarb
Kale Blue Cheese
Blueberry-blackberry

May 2, April 7, March 8 plus 5 more with students and the official start bastilla in February. 47 pies baked so far.



1 comment:

Chateau said...

Beautiful pies!