Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Kites Came Back

Saturday morning, May 5, I saw a single kite in the sky.

I saw none while I was out and about on May 6 and May 7 and then yesterday, the evening on May 8, there was an eerie whistling while we were at the park and the kites, more than 20 of them, were circling.  The rest of the birds made quite a commotion as well, as the return of the raptors tends to ruffle the feathers of the rest of the avian population.

This is the lastest the kites have arrived in the 8 springs I've been here. 
Interestingly, I saw none of the Mississippi kites as I was out today.

In other phenology news, my south side irises are all done and my north side irises are fading.  It looks like I will have a single peony blooming this year (most of the buds zapped in the late freeze) and it is doing its poofy white thing right now.

No comments: