Saturday, February 10, 2007

Groudhog Party Report

Party was fun. 15 total guests. Most were better friends with each other than with me, which was a strange situation as a hostess. The blue groundhogs (this year blue curacao, coconut rum, pineapple juice, silver rum and lemonade) were very good, however, almost everybody drank beer; the beverage which we had not bought. Somebody brought some home-distilled brandy. The mister consumed more than his fair share of it. Nobody except me wore an island outfit. Nobody "got" that Jeff's "Marmot" shirt was related to groundhogs. I spent tons of time actually staging fresh fruit at different levels around the house. It was not noticed.

That sounds like a disappointed report when, in fact the party was much more fun than I had anticipated. All of the attendees had a good time and many have thanked me during the week for throwing such an event. Had it been a bomb, I would just write it off. However, a very fun but completely unextraordinary party serves as a good foil for the exceptional parties I am more accustomed to throwing. The vast difference between my typical parties and this perfectly adequate party made it clear how great we had it in Lawrence (and Denver). As a person of joy, I should be grateful for ever having been part of a circle of friends as fun and supportive as our "gang" in Lawrence, but at the moment, the comparison is accentuating my sense of loss.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I too feel as if some Golden Age has finished as so many friends have left Lawrence. It is not the same without you all.

Irene said...

Are you going to have a Peony Party (or some other flower if you're lacking peonies) this year?

janet said...

wow, i feel so out of it that you are blogging and i´m just now checking in. i´m so excited!