Friday, April 2, 2010

"The Leek in the Toilet" is classic

Most readers of my annual April Fool's letter recognized the letter as a joke. Most thought the leek in the toilet was simply a matter of poor editing. It turns out that putting a leek in a toilet is one of two physical April Fool's pranks that I've pulled (the other being rubber-banding the squirter on the sink so that users became quickly soaked and my brother quickly blamed).
The leek in the toilet wasn't all that funny, but the putters-in (there were three of us) thought it was, particularly when the person we asked to deal with it couldn't find it and we started wondering about a leek in the u-bend.
It still makes me laugh every April first.
And, an astute reader pointed out that I've done pregnant with twins before (last year, as it happens). But, like the leek in the toilet, pregnant with twins is classic. My father told my grandmother my mother was pregnant with twins forty years ago and it turns out that my parents are soon to be grandparents to two sets of twins in one year, if the messages they received yesterday are to be believed.

No comments: