Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fuzzy Books

I've waited long enough to write about H. Beam Piper's* Fuzzy Trilogy (Little Fuzzy, Fuzzy Sapiens and Fuzzies and Other People) that I have much less to say than when I first finished them. This is probably not a bad thing, as I was wanting to babble about topics ranging from the role of corruption in government to the importance of cocktail hour to authors in the 1960s. Now enough time has passed that I'll just give a two line summary and make my recommendations.
The Fuzzy books are delightful short books about the discovery of a new species, Fuzzies, on a planet inhabited by (and being exploited by) Terran Humans. Each book has a plot that, more or less clumsily, pushes forth the action. However, if I were to say what the books were "about", I'd say that the first is about what it means to be sapient, the second about how all governments have problems and I'm really not sure about the third.
Despite that lackluster description I have several friends that should definitely read them: SalSis because of her interest in "classic" science fiction and because she will spend the whole time comparing the fuzzies to her pets and her friends' babies. She and TucTrek will both want to live with some fuzzies. Irene and Beth will enjoy the books for the same reasons, and also because the science/legal interface is fascinating to note.
Other friends should read them simply because they are fun and thought provoking, if awkwardly paced and plotted.

*Author of Space Viking, my thoughts linked to here. The Fuzzy books are much more fun.
Image from Amazon.

5 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

I've read these twice, and I'll bet I read the first one a third time. Little Fuzzy may be the most charming science fiction novel ever written.

Anonymous said...

It took awhile, but I figured out how to request this from the library AND have it delivered to my office! --guess who (I have 4 little fuzzies)

salsis said...

yay, I like the book. yes, I compare them to my fuzzies. I had to get over not believing that a creature would throw its arms around another type of creature it's never seen before. A friendly dog will run up to other people, but it already knows what people are. But Little Fuzzy is just one of many fuzzies. Maybe not all fuzzies would embrace a human 1st time it saw one.

salsis said...

PS the book I have doesn't have a picture on the cover. I tried not to look at the one on your blog so I'd keep the image of the fuzzies that I have in my head. I'm wondering if eventually something turns out to be bad about them, like Gremlins.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

SalSis- glad you are reading them. You must remember that Fuzzies, like Dianthus, are not like your dogs.