Thursday, May 26, 2011

Genetic Gardening Compulsion

It's the day before a big spring or summer vacation: what are you doing?
a) packing
b) catching up with work before you leave stuff
c) pre-relaxing
d) fixing the sprinkler system, mulching, building a new garden bed, laying soaker hoses or something similar.

If your answer does not include "d" you are probably not genetically related to one side of my family (and frankly, if it is not "all of the above, assuming throwing some sort of get together counts as 'c' " you are probably not my parents). As I was mulching recently (obviously a must before a vacation) I decided that this might be genetic and not cultural because I'm pretty sure that my uncle, who certainly never influenced my vacation planning culturally, would be getting plants in the ground until dark the night before a May vacation, if he had ever abandoned his work and his house during the growing season.

I thought I might post "before" photos of the new garden beds, but I still have a and b to do before I can sleep (which surely counts as c), so I'll just post a photo of the spring vegetable beds a week ago and the result of the crazy-grown-up-shopping we did recently.

4 comments:

Irene said...

I assume the shiny red thing is the result of said crazy grown shopping? Congrats!

Marieke said...

FINALLY posted on Lark Rise to Candleford... have a wonderful vacation! Garden looks lovely.

Beth said...

I like the garden. I should have moved mine this year but didn't... I might take down a small tree which is blocking the light instead. We're staying home this weekend but have been way to busy with parties, etc.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Irene-- yes. After 5 years as a one car family, we have two cars, and one of them is a brand new "microvan" as someone who has had two cars, both used, in the twenty+ years of her driving life, it's quite a grown up thing.