Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Star desserts and signature dishes

At the end of spring break, Dianthus and I actually baked some peanut butter cookies, rolled and cut into star shapes. They were no better than ordinary round peanut butter cookies (and perhaps a bit worse) but they were stars, which at least allows me to make one tick towards my star resolution.
When the Mister's Parents visited for Easter, I baked a pavlova. I typically think of the strawberry center as being a floral design, but the case could be made that it is really a star pattern. Two star foods on the list.

On a related note, the Mister asked recently what our signature dishes are. We both could name his signature dishes (chicken biriyani and breakfast burritos with fabulous fried taters) but couldn't list mine. There was a time that pavlova was definitely it for me-- I used to demonstrate making pavlova in 4-H speech competitions and wowed numerous parties with the strawberry star, but apparently it is no longer; the Mister had never previously eaten one and I had forgotten my secret recipe.

What's your signature dish? What's mine?

4 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

Mine: skillet green bean casserole.

Yours: facility with many nice dishes is worth sacrificing the notion of a signature dish.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks AR- Your green bean casserole is indeed fabulous (and, along the same lines, my roasted brussels sprouts and pine nuts could be construed as a signature dish of mine, but the Mister now cooks it more often than I do).

I agree that being able to cook a wide variety of tasty items is preferable to a signature item, but I don't think that one must sacrifice a specialty in order to have breadth and, unfortunately, I don't think it's what has happened in my case. I think I've just stopped cooking.

Erin said...

I remember your pine nut tart. I still dream about it sometimes.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Blogger has had some issues recently and may have permanently removed Erin's comment about pine nut tarts.
She apparently sometimes still dreams about them. They were a signature dish for a short time of my life, but I no longer have a source of (relatively) inexpensive pine nuts, and therefore have not made one in years.