Saturday, July 2, 2011

Black Widow Bites Lucky Pregnant Woman

There is just so much good blogging potential in being hospitalized for a black widow bite at 36 weeks pregnant (at the beginning of a holiday weekend, right after my husband and son had left town) that I hate to write about it when I'm not up to the witty post that will do it justice.
But I want your sympathy and I want you to know what's going on, so I'll stick to a basically factual post.
Thursday morning a black widow bit me in my right underarm. I did not notice at the time.
Thursday morning I also brushed a spider off of my stomach (while sitting at my kitchen table) it was black with red on its abdomen, but not what I think a black widow should look like (i.e. no distinct hourglass).
Thursday about noon the Mister and Dianthus headed north to the in-laws for the weekend and I was looking forward to getting some stuff done around the house.
Thursday morning (prior to the bite) I also had a hormonal crying jag and was sweaty because it was over 100 degrees here already. Rutherford Robinia has also been recently putting pressure on my pelvis and abdomen in weird (relative to Dianthus as a fetus) and very uncomfortable ways, although not so much on Thursday morning.
Those last two lines are added to explain why, when I started sweating profusely, having abdominal and back pain and wanting to cry, and saw that the sharp stabbing pain under my arm was a spider bite, I did not immediately seek medical attention-- who wants to be a hypochondriac when you're also pregnant weepy and suddenly alone for the weekend?
But my symptoms exactly matched those of a black widow bite and were not going away and it was lunchtime, so I drove myself to the "convenient care clinic" two blocks away. I described something incorrectly, spoke too coherently, and they must be more used to drug addicts or something, because they paid absolutely no attention to the fact that I was in such pain that I was unable to sit in the waiting room, was sweating everywhere, and probably short of breath-- told me is wasn't a venomous spider and sent me home with a prescription for antibiotics.
I went home, tried to nap, tried to take a shower, tried to cry, tried to use yoga breathing to breathe through the pain, tried to feel if RuthRob was moving and failed miserably on all counts. I thought at the time that whatever I was feeling, it was worse than labor, because at least during labor I knew why my body was in such an uncomfortable state and that the pain would not last forever.
Perhaps a bit foolishly, considering that the pain was in my legs by this time and I wasn't totally sure I could control the gas pedal, I drove myself to my OB's office about two miles away.
She had seen me in good health and good spirits at a check up that morning so everyone in her office immediately knew that something was wrong as I stumbled in in my sweaty state.
They checked RuthRob whose heart was beating just fine, checked with a family doc (my OB is, shockingly, not an expert on venomous spider bites) who agreed that it certainly could be a black widow and that RuthRob and I should be monitored, and had a nurse drive me to the hospital (a block away).
Soon all sorts of testing began (they took blood for cardiac enzymes and ran an EKG-- someone asked later if a heart attack is a common symptom of a black widow bite-- the answer is no, but a heart attack is a common cause of a person sweating uncontrollably with fluctuating pulse and blood pressure, shortness of breath, tight chest and intense pain in the arm) and another super-uncomfortable hour or two ensued as there was absolutely no position that was not painful-- but I kept squirming trying to find the elusive less-painful position, which is not not advised while hooked up to fetal monitors, an IV line and oxygen. The nurses did a fairly good job of trying to keep me talking about other stuff, but later revealed that I was in really bad shape.
Long story a bit shorter-- after fans, oxygen, fluids, time and care have kicked in and I can speak a sentence-- I realized that it's Thursday and not Friday and I do know somebody in town. The nurse called my fabulous secretary who came by, bringing good cheer and good sense and helped me contact my parents who helped me contact the Mister's parents so that the Mister could arrive at their house from a 5 1/2 hour drive with a 23 month old in 100 degree heat to learn that his wife was in the hospital.
The doctor told me that it was a black widow bite, that the toxin is very rarely fatal*, and that most of the things that could make me feel better (antivenom, narcotics, muscle relaxants) are unsafe during pregnancy. I'm told I will be observed overnight, at least, to find out how much my muscles deteriorate, and because most symptoms are likely to reoccur.
A miserable night (but much better than the afternoon) ensued (with the interesting added bonus that was pumped with so many fluids that there is a three hour stretch between 1 and 3 am during which I peed 700-900 mL an hour!). The baby remained great throughout, at least judging by heart rate and movement.
They discharged me in the morning. I returned home and a woozy swollen day ensues. The Mister and Dianthus returned home Friday afternoon.
I still feel suddenly tired, hot and then cold, and weak in spells today, but am much better.
I am to expect such symptoms to fade, but will not be surprised if they persist in spells.

So that's the story. Witty and weird take may come later. In the meantime, stay away from venomous spiders.
*This is supposed to be reassuring, but as I really didn't think that I was going to die once I made it to the hospital, it had somewhat the opposite effect.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Yikes! I thought all of us having a stomach flu over the holiday weekend was bad, but now I feel silly. I'm thinking of you and sending you anti-inflammatory thoughts.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

On its way to you is a get well card which echoes some of what you wrote, although I wrote it before you posted.

There's luck and there's luck, I guess.

Anyway, you've been in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Of course we were all very concerned about you, baby, and family. Very happy to hear that progress is being made--even if slow---but steady. I think I've been bitten, stung, 3 or 4 times by scorpions---but this spider thing sounds much worse; glad I missed it.
Hope improvement continues rapidly.
father-in-law

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I'm feeling much better today-- still a bit out of it, but that could be attributed to heat, pregnancy and four nights or poor sleep rather than a bite directly. Unfortunately the Mister isn't well (flu in July special?) but he'll get over it.
Erin- no need to feel silly. My being bitten certainly doesn't make stomach flu any less miserable.
AR- I was going to run that stats on this-- as far as luck goes, maybe I still will. Thanks for your thoughts.
FiL- thanks for the good wishes. I certainly don't want a scorpion sting to compare. I plan to be done with venomous arachnids for a lifetime.

Beth said...

Yikes!!!!

Glad to hear you're doing better. Not so happy to hear that none of the normal treatments were available. I can't believe the care clinic turned you away.

((hugs))

salsis said...

Wow that's scary and I'm made at the 1st place you stopped - they should have sent you to the ER. Hello - pregnant woman in pain! Things are always a ton worse when you're alone.

salsis said...

Mad that is. MAD

Irene said...

Egads, woman.... of all the times for something like that to happen! I'm very relieved to hear that you and RuthRob are okay. Big hugs to you and the Mister and Dianthus.

Mr. Guapo said...

Good to hear you guys are ok. Sorry we missed you, but I suppose your excuse is good enough.

Yeah, we were worried about you, but sounds like RuthRob's gonna be one tough cookie when s/he busts out.