Friday, July 8, 2011

How sweet that vacuum is!: the pragmatic romantics take on iron and candy

I'm a romantic. I surround myself with fresh flowers, will willingly pay for delicious food, and soak myself in long, scented baths. I cry at weddings, at happy endings, and sometimes Hallmark commercials. I love stories of Hope, Love, overcoming odds, and the glories of Nature. My parents are romantics, my brother is a romantic, and, cleverly disguised by his geeky exterior, the Mister is a romantic, too.
Yet, when, after we had been dating about a month, the Mister swooned, "You're so pragmatic," I took it as the compliment that had been intended.
I asked for, and received, a simple band for an engagement ring.
After our wedding, we worked and wrote thank-you notes for a week before we spent the first night of our honeymoon in Newark, NJ (and the rest, to the bafflement of local bartenders, in Newfoundland). We're practical as well as romantic.
Still, I am somewhat surprised at how very excited we both are about our anniversary present to each other: a new, super-suction, giant beast of a vacuum cleaner.
Happy six years Sweetie!

8 comments:

Chateau said...

And may many more vacuum cleaners come your way!!!

Prairie Quilter said...

I hope the vacuum got christedned by candlelight! (champagne to come in a few weeks)

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Chateau- Hopefully no more vacuums for a long time to come, but many years and anniversaries.
PQ- alas, no candlelight for the vacuum, but for full disclosure we also went out for a very nice meal (no candlelight or champagne but tasty cheese, pate, roasted bone marrow, and fried peach and goat cheese salad).
Beth- thanks!

Beth said...

which vacuum btw?

The Mister said...

LG Kompressor Total Care LuV400T (that's a ridiculous mouthfull), for the record. It's really hard to find a vacuum where at least 25% of purchasers hate it. This one seems to be closer to 10% hate value. I hope it works out for us.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Mister-- don't you mean "less than" instead of "at least"?

Heather York said...

That sucks!

But seriously, happy belated anniversary!

We got a Kirby a few months ago (a long story in itself). My mister thinks it's great. I don't. But yet, I'm the one who does all the vacuuming...

Hope you're in the 90%.