Wednesday, March 14, 2012

But those were my quotes!

Over at Wuthering Expectations, Amateur Reader has started our discussion of The City and the Mountains by Eça de Queirós.
I've been reading this Portuguese STIR novel differently than I read most novels. First, I have read it in ridiculously small chunks (not due to any particular characteristic of the book, but because of the set up of my life and the age of my child who has become an efficient breast-feeder). Secondly, I have been marking specific passages to have something to discuss with AR.
If one reads Wuthering Expectations at all, one quickly notices that AR writes about the actual text. Surprisingly, a focus on the author's sentences is not the norm among book bloggers. Actually, if you've been in a typical book club, this is not surprising at all. How much we liked the book, what it reminded us of, what we liked better, what we are going to eat, what we are going to read next. . . this is what my book club actually talked about. The writing of the book in front of us, not nearly as much.
So I started marking passages in The City and the Mountain.
I marked a passage that reminds me of most modern offices:


From the foot of [Jacinto’s] desk, soft, fat cable snaked over the carpet,
scurrying into the shadows like startled cobras. On a bench, and reflected
in its varnished surface as if in the water of a well, stood a Writing
Machine, and further off a vast Adding Machine, with rows of holes from
which protruded stiff, metal numbers, patiently waiting. (21)

And a passage that deals with food:



And for dessert, iced oranges in ether.
“Why in ether, Jacinto?”
My friend hesitated and made a rippling gesture with his fingers as of an aroma being wafted away.“It’s a new thing. Apparently the ether develops and brings
out the soul of the fruit.” (28)


And everything I typed after this disappeared. Hmmmm. Who is in for The Hunger Games, by the way?

6 comments:

salsis said...

I'll read the Hunger Games with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm in too!
I'd like to get back into the habit of marking passages, SpSq. Thanks for the inspiration.
Jenny

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

That is some fine satire you wrote there.

I rarely mark passages myself, actually. But I read them. They are the book.

Most book bloggers do not write about books but about themselves, a legitimate subject, but then the specifics of the mirror they are looking in do not matter so much.

"startled cobras," and Jacinto's gesture, yes yes yes.

Chateau said...

I've just finished it, so count me in.

Erin said...

Count me in for the hunger games. Everyone seems to be reading it right now so I will actually be current!

janet said...

I would like to read the Hunger Games, what's the deadline?