Friday, March 23, 2012

Hungry Books

The ethereal oranges mentioned in the earlier post are just one of the foods mentioned in The City and the Mountains. That AR and I both selected the orange passage for our blogs is more telling about our knowledge of each other than the writing of Eca de Queiros. I'm into creative cooking of all forms, including wanting to try real molecular gastronomy (I would have loved to dine at El Bulli, for instance, and would seriously consider wd-50 for my fantasy weekend of food in NYC*) and AR is into mocking fancy food**.

In another post, or at least a post in my mind, I will write about the various kinds of things I don't know how to read, and what that means. I very much enjoyed The City and the Mountains, but felt I was missing a great deal because I know so little. So little about Portuguese history, so little about Portuguese literature, so little about the times, that I didn't really know when I was being made fun of. In the novel, Paris is Civilization and Civilization is soulless, at best. The Mountains (of Portugal) have their own issues, but the air is clean, the work is meaningful and the food is satisfying.
Perhaps, because, unlike AR, I have no experience with soul-satisfying food in Portugal, or perhaps because one of the wonderful moments of my life was an extravagant dinner in Paris (in 1984***) of the sort that a modern Eca de Quieros would mock (roster kidneys! pigeon! bitter chocolate souffle!). So I'm not sure the point really resonated with me.

Anyway, interestingly, The City and the Mountains did not make me hungry while reading it. Scant food though there is in The Hunger Games (and Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) the food there is makes me want to eat. I want to eat the breads of all the districts. I want to eat the cookie Katniss tosses aside. I hear of roast birds and lamb stew and I just plain want to eat.

So yes, Hunger Games discussion on for sometime soon. It feels weird to be on-trend. Janet, don't worry about the deadline. It will go fast. One of these times I'm going to contact my cousin who gave me the book and tell her she's starting a discussion.

In the meantime, what do you know about Portuguese food, what books make you hungry and what you want to discuss concerning The Hunger Games.

*But I want to eat at Le Bernardin, pretty much anything Momofuku group, the Red Rooster and a whole bunch of ethnic restaurants, to name just a few.

**He might actually be a bigger foodie than I am, but he is the post-fine dining kind of foodie that is really into perfect fried chicken and restaurants of the least ambiance. I very much enjoy the perfect local burger and street food and soul food, but I also like dining as theater and sniffing corks makes me foolishly happy.

*** I figured out that my mother had just turned 39 on this month-long Europe trip. My parents were such adults at my age. I'm so far behind on so many life experiences, but it pleases me to think about how many great meals my parents have eaten since that pivotal summer and how many more opportunities I could have.

3 comments:

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

I do not remember mocking fancy food. You will have to fill me in sometime. My memory is not what it once was. Serve me fancy food and I will eat it with gusto.

I also do not remember a time when I was being made fun of. Oh, for spending too much time at the computer, I did get a good jab for that. When or what else do you mean?

Within the novel, the satirical target of the great Paris dinner is not so much the food but the emphasis on "nowness" (the heated dumbwaiter) and the corruption of more straightforward food (the enormous pudding).

I do not believe that Eça is particularly anti-Paris (although that final rant raises doubts). The basic story could as easily have used London as the city and Normandy as the country. All of the fancy food in London would be encased in aspic, so that would be a difference.

What made the food in The Hunger Games appetizing?

Erin said...

I just started reading the Hunger Games and cannot stop thinking about hot chocolate :)

Sparkling Squirrel said...

AR, I regularly felt that there was some in joke that the readers of the novel, and the author, were all part of Civilization. How soul-less is it to sitting in an office stacked full of books and gadgets reading a novel about the wonders of simple country life? I'm nodding about delights of simple local food as I make a curry with a jar of spice mix and a can of coconut milk from around the world. I expect that early readers of TCatM were city folks similarly amongst their gadgets vigorously agreeing that this city life is destructive, and I thought Eca de Quieros was making fun of us for it (and likely himself).

Lamb, bread, hot chocolate. . . although by the third book they are all not so good.