Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring is in the air

. . . and thus our itchy eyes and congested heads (although the latter has improved greatly for me while the former may be getting worse. Hmmm.)
In any case, the spring report . . .
First daffodils (south side of house) bloomed a full month ago. The daffodils on the east side of the house are tapering off now. Bradford pears have been out for a week and are just going past. Apricots peaked on Friday (March 9) and cherries are full out. Red buds are starting.
The golden currant (clove currant) at my house is in full bloom and is fabulously fragrant.
Maples and elms are setting fruit but haven't started shedding them.
Little violets are blooming in my yard, as is Vinca major and Vinca minor.
We've had lamium and shepherd's purse blooming all semester because I use them all the time in my plant taxonomy class.
The buds on the lilac are swollen and I wouldn't be surprised if it blooms over spring break (next week).
What's springy where you are?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roadside lupines and poppies have been going for a couple weeks at least. The peach tree in our backyard was flowering at the lunar new year and now has a bunch of ping-pong sized fruit. Ceanothus is flowering. Otherwise, San Diego has me very confused... Everything just seems to keep on growing perpetually. There are geranium bushes taller than me and as big as a car in my neighborhood. Lantana, ice plant, pampas grass, african daisies everywhere, especially stupid ice plant. The roses were pruned in January and have been flowering since Feb. Wierd place, this is.
-Molly

Jenny said...

I've not yet seen anything in bloom, but buds are almost bursting on maples, buds are out on sumac, the sandhill cranes are back, spring peepers are peeping, and the swans are trumpeting. Hard to believe for mid-March in Michigan.
Jenny

Prairie Quilter said...

The dafodils in the drive are blooming. We saw a forsythia blooming in town. And there were three robins in our yard! Very rare out here.

salsis said...

Crocuses bloomed their usual Feb. time. Daffodils and forsythia started blooming last week and are in full bloom now. Hyacinth bloomed today (or maybe it's the fake hyacinth). Magnolias are blooming. Red buds are starting.

Marieke said...

Wow! We have early daffodils this year - the first ones I saw were March 3. And I saw the first newborn lamb on March 13th! Our camellia looks like it has one flower ready to bloom soon. I've seen a few rhodies already blooming near the coast.