Thursday, December 19, 2013

Where do you sparkle?

Today's newspaper (yes, we still get paper copies of the newspaper.  We also have a landline. We're luddites like that) featured the annual story about holiday party dresses.
As always, I found the article a bit ridiculous (even before I realized that one of the party apparel suggestions was a sweatshirt with "Party Time" bedazzled across the chest).  And I found it a bit sad.
Sad because I have no where to wear a sparkly holiday party dress, and I haven't for 8-14 years*.
Worn on 4 different dress up
occasions, yet 1 grainy image is
the only photographic evidence 

Last summer I did manage to buy a fabulous new dress for Vegas, and managed to wear it to three other events, so dressing up is within my grasp.  But it very rarely happens, and I do so love to sparkle.

So I've resolved to attend a sparkly dress event, decked out in a sparkly dress, in 2014.

Where do you sparkle?
Where should I go to sparkle?
Who's going to join me?

*My friends in Kansas and I would throw "Sparkles" at which we would wear flashy things and drink sparkling wine, but they were never at the holidays and a new dress, except from a thrift store, would seem out of place.  Another Kansas friend threw a very classy holiday open house, to which one could wear a dress, but a lovely silk blouse and black pants was more the norm.  Despite (or because) our holiday bonus was a t-shirt, at best, working at Denver Botanic Gardens had the advantages of a dress-up schmoozing event (wear holiday velvet) and a dress up dancing event (known among my friends as the DBG prom).
Part of the reason we don't have many dress-up pictures.

3 comments:

janet said...

I do miss those parties! They were fun!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I was sad that the gardeners never attended, but they were fun.

Anonymous said...

What a happy child!
Grandma