In the meantime, know that in 2008 I will be doing the following things at least once a month:
- eating a seasonal luck-bearing food
- learning about something thought to change luck
- helping somebody else improve his or her luck
Over the course of the year, I will also be exploring lucky media and hope to visit some luck bearing locales.
What does this mean in practice?
In January, for instance, I ate black-eyed-peas on New Year's Day to bring me good luck, I befriended two black cats and I hope to write about that, and allegedly two of the tubes of toothpaste I donated to community resources this morning have already been given away to make someone's day.
In February I will be eating special dumplings for the Chinese New Year, figure out what it means to be a clever rat in the year of the rat in the auspicious year 2008 and may read Alice Sebold's Lucky or Newberry Award Winning The Higher Power of Lucky.
As a supporter of my resolution, you can find me lucky foods, fun superstitions, things with "luck" or "charm" in the title or information about lucky traditions. I will be avoiding anything meant to improve luck by hurting someone else, pyramid schemes and chain letters and anthing obviously sacred or stupid.
I will also persist with old resolutions and quests. In 2008 I will:
- continue in the quest to drink wine from every state and sparkling wine from all over the world
- read and share interesting books
- share seasonal vegetable recipes
- write interesting things about rodents as I learn them.
I'm looking forward to learning what's lucky for you.