Thursday, March 21, 2013

Floraphilic Personalities

"Flowers!  Could there be anything more unlike what I design?" scoffed a contestant on Project Runway a few weeks ago during a challenge in which they had to use materials from a florist in a fashion design.
I was a little stunned at the comment.  I fully understand not being into large flowery prints, or dainty girly-girl blossoms or choosing living plants over cut flowers, but to find nothing that could inspire you at a flower shop?  How is that possible?
Which is part of the reason I've been hung up on whether or not I have a flowery personality recently.  I curled my hair (slept in boing boing rollers and the whole bit) and wore my new flowery blouse for the first week of floraganza, and the results (which for some reason  am posting on-line) were not pretty.  "I clearly am not," I decided, "a flowery print person, or, for that matter, a blouse person.  This wearing something flowery every month is going to be such a stretch for me.  I like flowers, but I like getting my hands dirty growing them."
Yes, I paid good money for this.  Yes, I ordered it on-line and no, I did not pay much money.  At least the poppies are recognizable.
But then I loved the smell of the sticky sweet hyacinths in the office, even when they were overpoweringly floral.  And I would love to make a dress with items from a florist shop.  And, upon further examination, my wardrobe has a pretty high number of flower items, including a flow-y sweet floral print dress that I will happily wear on Easter and to some tea party that I'll throw which will include violets in the ice cubes.
I'll admit it, I have a flowery side.
First day of class January 2013
Still, for the record, this is how I see myself this semester.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, I love the black and white dress jacket.. thats my new phase for the dress season

Anonymous said...

I too love the black and white jacket. CA poppies just started blooming in my yard a few days ago, though they've been going for several weeks on the roadsides. Proteas are making a spectacular showing in my mom's yard, and making me very happy in a vase in my dining room!
Molly