Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pickled Daikon

I took these photos last February, at the end of acid year, and apparently never posted them.    Last year when I made matchstick daikon pickles, I followed the Sweet Daikon Pickle recipe from Roots closely. This year I couldn't find that recipe, so I used the (very similar) recipe for Spicy Thai Pickled Carrots for my recent two jars.  Both preparations are easy and the results are tasty.
The shocking thing is that my sons gobble up pickled daikon.
It's weird.
I clearly need to make some more.
Daikon, by the way, is a true root,  It's a mild variety of radish and a member of the mustard family (Brassicaceae).
The daikon kim chi I made recently is texturally not as good as cabbage kim chi, but it is also tasty, and definitely tastes fermented.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that this partially answers my question, but I'd love to hear more!
Molly

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I have both fermentation books by new fermentation guru Sandor Ellix Katz, Wild Fermentation and The Art of Fermentation. The latter is more comprehensive, but the former actually has easier-to-follow recipes (because, for instance, in the kimchi recipe in art of fermentation, there is no ingredient list and every step includes about a page of variations on the instructions and why you might want to do it differently. Wild Fermentation contains a recipe.) Katz is quick to point out that pickling is not fermenting, usually (one pickles to stop microbial growth, in fermentation, one is encouraging it).