Thursday, May 14, 2015

Five Spice Rhubarb Sauce

I used some of the rhubarb Monday to make strawberry rhubarb shortcakes and the rest today to make  "Chinese Seared Pork with Five-Spice Rhubarb Sauce" from the March/April 2015 issue (a.k.a. "the rhubarb issue") of Eating Well magazine.

It was really good.  It has me thinking that 1) I should buy more rhubarb at the farmers' market Sunday and 2) I should follow recipes more often.  The rhubarb sauce and marinade had lots of ingredients I regularly use (ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, lemon juice) combined in a way that make them better than my typical stir fry sauce.  Sometimes following directions helps.

This has nothing to do with pediatric stroke or my current "luminescent" resolution, true, but for some reason I thought you should know that while tomatoes were declared legally vegetables by the US Supreme Court in 1893, it was a lower court in New York that declared rhubarb legally a fruit in 1947.

No comments: