Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Pilgrims are coming!*

Running to the Farmers'
Market in the FOG.
May 9, 2015
We followed indoor graduation procedures this morning because of the fifth day in a row of real rain.  One of my graduating seniors commented that she doesn't remember this much rain since, well, ever. During a downpour in late April, a new faculty member asked, hopefully, "They say that spring is the rainy season here?" to which I had to respond, "This is my fifth year here and I haven't experienced a rainy season."
Two weeks later and I have now experienced a rainy season. The local paper reports that we haven't had this much rain in a 30 day period since the 1920s.  Last week's drought monitor had us downgraded to "severe" drought (and who knows, by Tuesday our drought might just be "moderate").

Even before the recent deluge, it was a great year for the roses all over town.  Peonies were blooming places I've never noticed them and mine are finally growing up.  I claim not to be a rose person or a pink person or a frilly, fu-fu person, I make exceptions for bouquets of May flowers**.  Images are of a bouquet I picked Tuesday, May 5 and took to Texas.  I also picked one here yesterday, that includes additional deep rose-colored peonies that are just starting to open.

Happy Rain!  Happy Flowers!

*"If April showers bring May flowers what do Mayflowers bring?  Pilgrims!"

**While I still have no images of my famous former peony parties, one can see images of my May flower fanaticism with peonies up close,  or a big West Virginia bouquet.

1 comment:

Chateau said...

Beautiful flowers!
They make a great Mother's Day gift - and they're not even covered in snow!