Thursday, January 25, 2007

Large Squirrel Movie: Groundhog Day

The Mister and I watched Groundhog Day last night. At the first Groundhog Party in 1993 Supplement Scribe (primary hostess of said party) and I were shocked when the first trailer for Groundhog Day appeared on the television as we were about to watch Caddyshack. We were stunned. They made a movie about our holiday!

I watched GH D in the theaters and sometime in between, but certainly had not memorized the lines or considered it one of the greatest movies of all time. Upon reviewing, I still do not think it is great, but it is pretty darn good. True, it does have a slow middle and true, Andie McDowell might not be able to act her way out of a phonebox (as a British friend once commented), but it is good.
Highlights for me:
-Groundhog Day plays a pivotal role
-Phil (the groundhog) looks (and is) a real rodent. Very few movies have rodents playing rodents and even fewer include members of Marmota (official genus of my household).
-Unlike many romantic comedies, the guy has to change for the woman.
-Unlike almost all romantic comedies, not only does the guy change for the woman, but he fails when he changes into what he think she wants and succeeds when he changes into the best him he can be.

Questionable point for me:
It's light at 6 a.m. on February 2. I'm at basically the same longitude (position in the time zone) and further south than Punxatawny and I can assure you that it is not bright morning at 6 a.m.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I like this movie as well, though I have never thought about it so deeply. Good Choice!