Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Rodent Resolution

I resolve to explore the world of Rodentia in 2007 through both biological and pop cultural inquiry.


Measurable Goals

  • I will see (and profile) at least one rodent a month.
  • I will view at least 5 rodent-themed movies.
  • I will read at least 5 rodent-themed books.
  • I will eat at least 5 rodent-related foods. While this may involve the actual eating of rodents, this can involve such foods as acorn bread or marzipan mice.
  • I will drink at least 5 rodent-related beverages. This may involve beverages with rodents in the name or depicted on the label.
  • I will actively choose rodent-related stuff.

Strategies for Success

  • I will set up a blog, “Sparkling Squirrel”, to report on my progress.
  • I will enlist the help of my husband in photographing rodents.
  • I will maintain lists of rodent-related pop-culture materials.
  • I will teach Vertebrate Zoology which should scare me into learning a great deal about rodents.
  • I will enlist the help of my friends.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wanted to share some ideas for rodent-related books (this falls in with enlisting the help of your friends.

1.) Any of the Redwall series. If you are unfamilar, they are written for a young-adult audience, and while they involve all kinds of woodland creatures, the main characters are often mice.

2.) The Linnet's Tale (I may have loaned this to you once)

3.) Rats by Paul Zindel. Another young adult book, but instead of furry forest creatures, it features mutant man-eating rats. I enjoyed the story, but, it is very gross and graphic.

Sunflower Spinner

janet said...

i have terrific news for you! in ecuador, guinea pigs (called cuye) are eaten regularly. that counts as rodent right? also, there is another wild rodent that lives here that is also hunted and eaten. i have partaken of it. it´s called something similar to wanton (but that´s not it, i just can´t ever remember and if i say wanton, they know what i mean.) that´ll get you a long ways towards your goal!